tinning with a solder pot

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

Bought a solder pot for tinning and I'm not thrilled with the results.
Wires don't so much as wick as coat and clump, even after fluxing.

Might my problem have to do with temperature? What kind of solder do you prefer in a pot?

I’m really interested in this; the whole solder pot idea and the like!

A friend was really trying to convince me how great it is sometime ago as I was preparing to wire absolutely every aspect of a brand  new studio. 6 rolls of 250g, 0.8mm leaded silver solder later, I’m on my last handful of cables without one!

While the concept sounds great, I’m not sure how practical it is for most people, even if the results were consistently perfect. Even if I had the space, it seems it’d be a nightmare to prep even 1/4 of all the cables and not have a rats nest and keeping the the ends nicely twisted.

As a side note, this Patco handheld thermal stripper is my favorite thing! Never a single nicked wire! WOW! Don’t use on any outer sheath though.

A solder pot is VERY DANGEROUS.

You have to do millions of tinnings to justify even ONE accident.

The Patco is a wonderful thing.

we used a solder pot at the transformer shop a lot. but only on like 4/0 wire which is like battery cable size.  had to wire  Delta-Wye switches for big current.

i can not see using it on #16 to #22, if i did i would fill it with lead solder and work outside, use to come in big ingots like gold bullion, thought about spray painting it and trying to sell it down town, but could not find a paint that would stick,

you can buy pre-tinned wire, and these ideal Stripmasters are the bomb,

Attachments

• stripmaster.JPG
    stripmaster.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 4
My business partner used a solder pot back in the 70's-80's not sure it saved much time.  Definitely a production tool that needs care and feeding (right solder, right temperature, right flux..).  You don't turn it on for a couple wires.

JR

Latest posts

Back