Scully 280´s MIC LINE Preamps (New member)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivosonido

Hi Everyone, my name is Patricio Pierantoni, Im from Argentina, I've recording studio here calls VIVOSONIDO..

This is my first Post!...

I just own 8 Scullys 280s with the originals blue connectors, snakes, and remote control too...without the open reel.

My idea is to use them like MIC and Line PREAMPS at Studio.

Searching at the web I arrived to some posts about a Scullys modding,
But here in Argentina there's no info available about Scullys...
can you tell me more data about mods?..

I need first of all to make some Power Supply, an then I was thinking about adding Phantom power, -20 Pad, and y read some Post of a custom mod by using Mic Line Pre and playback together, giving 2 ways like modern and vintage sound...

sorry about my english, hope you understand.

Thanks!

> here in Argentina there's no info available about Scullys...

A manual for Scully 280:
https://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Scully/Scully_280_manual.pdf

Attachments

• Scully280.gif
    Scully280.gif
    172.8 KB · Views: 31
I'm sure this isn't too helpful, but I'd suggest to keep your eye out for a one inch transport and PSU, and you'll have a life changing machine...

Hi Patricio,
If you do a search here, about 6 months ago a guy came in with the same question as you .
The record amps have nice circuitry and transformers, its not a major job to mod them for mic pre working.

Hi Chops , did you mod up a mono or stereo Sculley to one inch tape ? for mastering or as an 8 track ?

I have two Studer C37's , I do keep an eye out for one inch running gear from a J37 ,but the headblock is different too .
Really though its hard to beat the original full track mono format for sound quality ,you have the entire width of the tape with no gap between tracks .

Its always possible with a vintage tape machine simply to run your overdubs through it and capture the tape outputs to digital on the fly ,then on the daw compensate for the delay in the reproduce head ,Paul Macartney in his Abbey road tutorial video uses a J37 in just that way, and its very effective. Your also not applying bias to the heads repeatedly like in the case of  multitrack tape 
overdubs ,signal is straight off repro head milliseconds after it was recorded . I always found with tape ,say the band does it live ,its sounds great once its just recorded ,but by the time you've gone through the overdubs ,the original live takes lack sparkle .The punch and slam tape saturation gives a recording is almost forgotten/wasted on ears nowadays .

I recall Malcolm Chisholm talking about tape changing overnight— something about iron particles settling in, but he was likely referring to the days before overdubs.

Print through was another issue with older tape formulations  ,they way you left the tape either tail out or top out made a difference in that regard .

no modification required to use as microphone preamplifiers.
each assembly draws approximately 150 mA @ -28 VDC with #1828 meter lamp installed.

vivosonido said:
I need first of all to make some Power Supply, an then I was thinking about adding Phantom power, -20 Pad, and y read some Post of a custom mod by using Mic Line Pre and playback together, giving 2 ways like modern and vintage sound...

For PSU:

https://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/ac/dc-kit.html?display_tax_prices=1

For Phantom Power, PAD and phase reverse:

https://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/go-between-kit.html?display_tax_prices=1

Hello vivosonido,
There have been several posts  about Scully 280 modded electronics, for Mic or Line individual preamps, and I even posted some tech info of my experience, and notably about new audio power supply and Phantom....
I would highly suggest you to do a search on this forum before starting any mod on your own, I'm sure it will be worth time spent.
Best,
Guy

Latest posts

Back