I am new to you, if you haven't seen me before

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oblivionboyj

Hey kids, how goes?

I am John and I live in Melbourne, Florida. I am not new to forums, but I am new to this one and it has been a while since I posted/used an old school forum. It is kinda nice, I miss this format. It seems to have been mostly displaced by Facebook conversations, which hasn't been an improvement in general.

I own and run a small recording studio and have a couple PAs that I rent out for events. What brought me here was a conversation on Facebook (ironic considering my previous condemnation) about an old Yamaha MC1604 that I was given because "it is a useless old piece of crap". It had a pop spilled on it at some point, but really just needed a thorough cleaning to be fully functional. I actually really like the preamps on the board, and the EQs turn out to be very musical. I have heard these old Yamaha desks referred to as the Japanese Neve. I get it; everybody wants to equate what they have to a Neve. As if there aren't other preamps that are wonderful in their own right (I am looking at you Focusrite, API, Amek, Neotek, and a thousand other old school brands) The suggestion to come here was based on the fact that y'all seem to have some mods to the series you are discussing. So I came here to see what you guys had on the books.

While I like the board, it isn't perfect. I want to recap it, and replace the op amps. Especially in the master section. The channels are pretty good but there is some noise I don't like in the master section. I also think I would like to turn the HiZ/line inputs into balanced, transformer, post EQ direct outs. I have no use for HiZ/line inputs on a studio mixing console. Like everybody else these days I do my studio mix in the box, not on the desk. I hate the location of the grouped phantom power switches as well. They should be on the face of the desk, not the back. For the cost of free dollars, I think that this old mixing desk has something to give with a little work.

So that is me, and why I am here. Thanks for having me.

Welcome! Welcome to the wonderful world of modding and building audio gear! :)

I don't want to be a negative Nancy, but I would recommend you to look for the older 70s version (PM series) of these Yamaha mixers, they have transformers (input and some output), some have DOAs and some have Inductors in the EQ... I just got a PM-180 for peanuts and already have a modified PM-430 both I got for under $100 in this day and age...

Anyways, the 4558 is a sluggish/dark opamp, sometimes it fits (it can sound nice in some scenarios), but if you want something cleaner and modern; the LME49720 (also known as LM4562) as recommended by Jim Williams for an EQ I upgraded, is a fantastic opamp. It's got lower noise, better headroom, it's got nice tight, well defined bass frequencies.

I also ended up putting one in my JX-3P in the position which mixes all the voices, it handles the synth voices much better.

It doesn't always fit (clean) with the equipment you want to upgrade, but sometimes it makes things better! It's a sort of a skill that evolves with time and experience; knowing when to leave things as is, if you know what I mean?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back