Any DIY Flickinger-style projects?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vizcities

Given that the Skibbe exists, it would surprise me if there wasn't something similar in the DIY realm. Can anyone point me to a project that covers the same kind of sonic ground?

Good call on the Spectrasonics thing - I'd read that somewhere as well, and it seems like a reasonable place to start.  That said, I can't seem to find a PCB project for a 101, a 110, or any other pre with an SS topology. (I did come across across a 101 kit that had been sold on Reverb; its creator, a Portland-based engineer named Richard Guy, doesn't appear to have a web presence, but I may try to contact him via e-mail.)

As far as the 535 op-amp goes, JLM's claim is that it has a standard 2520 footprint. So, comically inept question... what happens if I put it in an API-style preamp circuit? I know different op amps accomplish different things, but it seems unlikely that simply shoving a 535 where a 2520 should be will get me to a Flickinger's distinct sonic character.

vizcities said:
Good call on the Spectrasonics thing - I'd read that somewhere as well, and it seems like a reasonable place to start.  That said, I can't seem to find a PCB project for a 101, a 110, or any other pre with an SS topology. (I did come across across a 101 kit that had been sold on Reverb; its creator, a Portland-based engineer named Richard Guy, doesn't appear to have a web presence, but I may try to contact him via e-mail.)

As far as the 535 op-amp goes, JLM's claim is that it has a standard 2520 footprint. So, comically inept question... what happens if I put it in an API-style preamp circuit? I know different op amps accomplish different things, but it seems unlikely that simply shoving a 535 where a 2520 should be will get me to a Flickinger's distinct sonic character.

There is enough info on the 101 and 110 preamps that  one could easily make a board.

Its true - one could easily make a PCB to copy the Spectra cards - but let me tell you - as someone who designs and builds with classic Spectra - its not worth it - the chances of you getting one to be stable or even close to meeting spec just by buying the equivalent components from Mouser is pretty low...

I mean - if it were as easy as it appears to be wouldn't there be some kicking around here?

Do a search - every topic that starts with someone gearing up to copy a 101 or 110 never gets anywhere... There have been a handful in the years I have been around here...

and yeah - Flickinger built many of his early consoles using Spectra amp cards and EQ's, eventually he also got the bright idea to build his own 101's - he tried - but could never get it right, unstable, lots of thermal issues - he even built consoles using the forged 101's and EQ's... these were notoriously unstable, to the point of being a fire hazard - I have several of the cards and EQ's and they aren't even close.

He was eventually sued by William Dilley/ Spectra for this behavior... and then he patented his amp, which as stated - is very reminiscent of the 110, with a few changes, maybe most notable the addition of an inverting input... He even offhandedly refers to the 101/110 in the 535 patent...

People have successfully copied those Flick boards as they don't require the same (if any) critical component selection as the Spectra. If you look around there are some PCB's...

The eX Spectra employee you are referring, Richard is an associate of mine (not to mention my original mentor and one of my closest friends) - his was not selling kits to make copies of 101's or 110's - he was selling kits to make mic pre's with the original, classic Spectra cards.

I can help you get in touch with him.

Not trying to rain on the parade - just trying to save you some time and money - if you want Spectra - just buy a few cards and rack them up - but if you are looking for Flickinger, which sonically - for the record - is a completely different thing - there are some options.

anyway - hope this helps.
Timothy

pucho812 said:
There is enough info on the 101 and 110 preamps that  one could easily make a board.

vizcities said:
Good call on the Spectrasonics thing - I'd read that somewhere as well, and it seems like a reasonable place to start.  That said, I can't seem to find a PCB project for a 101, a 110, or any other pre with an SS topology.

Like Pucho said, there's all the needed info around.
101 and 110 use really simple pcb's you even have pics of the board traces that you can print and self etch your own boards.

mutterd said:
Its true - one could easily make a PCB to copy the Spectra cards - but let me tell you - as someone who designs and builds with classic Spectra - its not worth it - the chances of you getting one to be stable or even close to meeting spec just by buying the equivalent components from Mouser is pretty low...

I really don't see why!
There's nothing special in the boards or components, it's a really simple circuit.

Even if you had to specifically select some parts, that wouldn't be hard.
You could also replace in a pinch the Diodes and transistors for modern components.

[/quote]
I mean - if it were as easy as it appears to be wouldn't there be some kicking around here?
[/quote]

Because people are looking for Neve, API and SSL mic preamps, those are the most popular and sought after

[/quote]
Do a search - every topic that starts with someone gearing up to copy a 101 or 110 never gets anywhere... There have been a handful in the years I have been around here...
[/quote]

A number of handful tries is really not much in a DIY forum, compare it to all the Neve tries, it's hundreds maybe thousands.

The reason people don't look too much to build a 101 or 110 via the DIY route is that those cards are pretty cheap to buy used,
cheap enough that there's no incentive in building a DIY version.

Compare the price of an original Neve BA283 card to an original SS 110.
Compare the prices of an original Neve 1073 module to and original SS module,
They’re miles apart, and that's the reason, there’s incentive to DIY a Neve preamp and not to DIY an SS preamp.

[/quote]
People have successfully copied those Flick boards as they don't require the same (if any) critical component selection as the Spectra. If you look around there are some PCB's...
[/quote]

"Critical component selection" ?
Timothy, this is a really simple amplifier card, with only a few components don't make it sound like building an Atonic Bomb.

What is critical? selecting transistors?
selecting transistor gains? any sort of matching?

All of that is pretty well covered in this forum in a multitude of much more complex projects that an 101 or 110 card

I would love to build a two channel flickinger pre. Should I be looking at the 110? Anyone have the schematic? PCB?

Back to an earlier question - what if we put the JLM opamp into and API design? Is this close or nah?

justinheronmusic said:
I would love to build a two channel flickinger pre. Should I be looking at the 110? Anyone have the schematic? PCB?

It has been said in this thread there was "rumours" Flickinger is a knock of of Spectrasonics.
That doesn't mean that a Flickinger preamp is the same circuit as a Specrasonics 110 or 101.

justinheronmusic said:
Back to an earlier question - what if we put the JLM opamp into and API design? Is this close or nah?

Probably different transformers than Flickinger used.  Also JLM says it's their modern take on the Flickinger amp, don't know what the differencies are

Do you have any Flickinger amp schematics?

Latest posts

Back