Neve 31102 Issues

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leitrim_lad

Hi folks, i have a neve 31102. Recently after it been left on for awhile it starts to make slight popping sounds. Im a DIY novice but I opened it up and looked around. Everything "looks" ok apart from the B194a card. Ive included pictures. Im presuming these caps are in trouble? Could this be the cause of the popping sounds? Would you have any advice on what caps to change these out for?
Thanks
*more pics below

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 25
I don't see anything obviously wrong with the caps. Film caps are not known for going bad.

My guess would be the power supply is at fault. You might consider changing all high-current silicon like rectifier diodes / bridges and regulators / pass transistors. And replace the larger filter caps while your at it. If that wasn't done before it's probably something worth doing anyway.

Those caps only come in to play when the eq is switched in, so if you have the problem with the eq switched out then it's not them.    I only see one cap that has some slight damage, & that cap would only be in circuit on one particular frequency of one of the filter sections, so even if you had the eq switched in you would have to have the right frequency selected on a particular section of the eq to use that single cap, so probably unlikely,but not impossible.    Those mustard caps are normally really good, & personally I would never replace them unless they definitely were not working.

Back