Solder Sukker from the UK.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixorfling

Hi Forum,
ive been a Solder Sukker, for quite a few years, started repairing CBs, in the 90`s.
self taught,mostly.
Lately ive been buying,
Broken, and working, Old skool analogue, studio Gear, Compressors + EQ`s.
(putting my self in the deep end, @ fault Finding..o_O
i have fitted filter caps to all of them,
SNR in the headfones, is much better now.
Ive started playing with OpAmps,
Recently put 6 socket-ed OPA 2134, + 2181a vca`s, Replaced the 2150`s
in a Stereo, Cloud CX335, 2 Band, Compressor,
good result,
really transparent, and smooth
and the OPAs2134, have a nice neutral tone,
No More Shrill 1980s, ne5532 Treble,with the OPA OpAmps.
Tonight i Put 2181A VCA`s, in a DBX 166XL. (gates chattering slightly, on ch2 now,maybe, a VCA has an incomplete solder join...
Now its got some treble,and clarity,instant upgrade, not so Snubby with the Audio.
next ill do the SOP OpAmps, and pop some pics up.
also bought some china test gear
PSG9080 sig gen, (dont ever mess with the Firmware!
and yeepook Scope,
Bought a Broken, Aphex Expressor,That is distorting,when compression is applied..
And a LA Audio EQ,231G, now 90% fixed,Airy sounding EQ full of TL072s.
So iam also , learning how to use,New toys,
to fix the Old toys.

I am really pleased to see lots more Brits joining the group. Seems like you earned your chops on the bench. Can't say I agree with about the NE5532 but then any bad designer can make a good chip sound bad and there is unfortunately no shortage of bad designers. :cool:

Welcome to the group!

Cheers

Ian

Similar to what Ian says 5532s don't have shrill treble in themselves. But circuit design and implementation can introduce problems.
Since the 5532 is bipolar input and the 2134 has fet input stage - I'd look at the associated impedances in the circuit if you want to know why you hear a difference.

Similar to what Ian says 5532s don't have shrill treble in themselves. But circuit design and implementation can introduce problems.
Since the 5532 is bipolar input and the 2134 has fet input stage - I'd look at the associated impedances in the circuit if you want to know why you hear a difference.
looks like my next, curve is,building a OpAmp Headphone, Amp,
and scoping it, to understand, how best to implement,
individual requirements,of OpAmps.
i bought a 2nd,hand Fluke 177,
to check my modded compressor, has
zero source impedance at pins 2 and 3, and a high (≥50 kΩ)source impedance at pin 4.
in the mean time, ill look at correct implementation, of Ne5532,
as in this URei 1178,That went on ebay for over £2,000 recently, (greatScott!)

Attachments

• s-l0.jpg
    s-l0.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 0
  • s-l10.jpg
    s-l10.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 0
to check my modded compressor, has
zero source impedance at pins 2 and 3, and a high (≥50 kΩ)source impedance at pin 4.
in the mean time, ill look at correct implementation, of Ne5532,

I don't understand what that means. Pins 2,3 & 4 of what ? Re impedances - I was thinking about the components around the op amp eg signal source / output load / feedback network.
A "shrill" treble might be due to instability. Do you have an oscilloscope available ?
Also I'd check the voltage rails as 5532/4 are quite power hungry in terms of mA.
I appreciate that you might be happy swapping out the opamps. But if you want more help in trying to figure out what's going on I suggest you post this in the Drawing Board forum here. Cheers.

Unfortuntely there's all sorts of bad info floating around home hifi circles about opamps and how they have a sound. This kinda sounds like that. The 5532 and 5534 are "old" and therefore must suck.... even though the overwhelming majority of all the music recorded in the world have passed signal through those opamps.

Last edited:
You can not, Beat the Pristine Sound of (Genuine) OPA OpAmps.

The 5532 and 5534 are "old" and therefore must suck.... even though the overwhelming majority of all the music recorded in the world have passed signal through those opamps.
Dont forget the Thermionic Valves, that they all Passed through,in the End.

Latest posts

Back