nice meter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW that's a long link!  Here's the short version which might not track all of your internet activity:
https://ebay.us/kij7ik

And the listing does not even specify AC, DC, working or not  ::)

It is nice to at least have one  old style moving coil meter to hand in the workshop , Ive a couple of AVOmeters still , dont get used much anymore of course , but the styling alone means they get a shelf for aesthethic reasons .

Its all gone wrong nowadays ,just making stuff to throw out , building our own funeral pyre on the dross of humanity .

Attachments

• Avo 8.jpeg
    Avo 8.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 9
Tubetec said:
It is nice to at least have one  old style moving coil meter to hand in the workshop , Ive a couple of AVOmeters still , dont get used much anymore of course , but the styling alone means they get a shelf for aesthethic reasons .

Its all gone wrong nowadays ,just making stuff to throw out , building our own funeral pyre on the dross of humanity .

I have a Simpson 260 which I like but dont use that much, Ï also have a couple of Japanese Sanwa meters, they are great analog meters and considerably cheap.

Well I am hunting meters to build variac panels for some studio  lighting controls giving them something extra... the older Weston meters fit the decor so well.

user 37518 said:
I have a Simpson 260 which I like but dont use that much, Ï also have a couple of Japanese Sanwa meters, they are great analog meters and considerably cheap.
I cut my teeth on a Simpson 260 as a junior technician back in the 1960s... I never owned one personally, and surely would have kept that.

I am not going to pay almost $300 for a new one, or way too much for a used one. 

JR

@pucho.. back in the early 70s when I built my power amp into an old circa 1930s Western Electric PS chassis there was a large round meter in the faceplate. I don't recall what scale but don't think it was mains voltage because I might have been tempted to hook that up.

JohnRoberts said:
I cut my teeth on a Simpson 260 as a junior technician back in the 1960s... I never owned one personally, and surely would have kept that.

I am not going to pay almost $300 for a new one, or way too much for a used one. 

JR

@pucho.. back in the early 70s when I built my power amp into an old circa 1930s Western Electric PS chassis there was a large round meter in the faceplate. I don't recall what scale but don't think it was mains voltage because I might have been tempted to hook that up.

well I feel  a volt meter would make the most sense in my application as it's just a light dimmer with a variac/variable transformer.  Purely for looks here.

if you don't mind printing your own cosmetic meter scale you can probably trick almost any working meter (V or mA) to wiggle in response to light dimmer output.

JR

PS: I just wasted a few minutes and can't find my old meter... I probably didn't throw it away but don't recall seeing in decades. 

Latest posts

Back