The new Mac Pro

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a tool for the Pro market, not a home computer.
I know people who may buy it maxed out. And for them, this investment will have amortized after one year at the latest.
If you don't need or can't afford it just don't buy it.

The guy I work for will probably be getting three of them.  :eek:  Maybe I can get his three 5.1s for cheap then. :-D

I saw that also. They bring back pcie slots after I’ve sold my Lynx cards and bought thunderbolt cards. That price tag is ridiculous.  I’m just fine with my trash can Mac

[silent:arts] said:
This is a tool for the Pro market, not a home computer.
I know people who may buy it maxed out. And for them, this investment will have amortized after one year at the latest.
If you don't need or can't afford it just don't buy it.

Just seemed way over priced to play in the Mac toy box.  Plus they are already pushing a new OS, Catalina, when a lot of companies are not really Mojave approved yet.

pucho812 said:
Just seemed way over priced to play in the Mac toy box.
No. It is in line with what the Apple IIfx was, the Quadra 950, the PPC9600 etc.
There are High End Dell workstations costing the same.
Again - it is not meant for the home user or home recording studio.

pucho812 said:
Plus they are already pushing a new OS, Catalina, when a lot of companies are not really Mojave approved yet.
The companies will follow.
No reason to build such a new machine backwards compatible.
Apple never did this (fault) in the past, why should they do now.

Just for the heck of it, I configged a HP workstation. Almost the same, except for Afterburner, of course.

To my surprise, it ended up 800$ more. So I don't think that base price is ridiculous.

OTOH, the new 32" HD monitor starts at 5000$. No stand, nor a VESA mount included. And the stand is a 1000$. Mind you, it's just a stand. No active parts involved. Now that is ridiculous.

I just built a rackmounted PC i9 9800 12 cores 3.5ghz (easily oc to 4ghz) 64 gb ram, thunderbolt 3, samsung evo ssd drives, for right about $3200... with shipping etc... runs so quiet it is impossible to hear in a normal room, and still extremely quiet in a near silent studio... 

Ive had macs but got burned when they switched to intel...  I ran hackintosh for years as a best of both worlds kinda thing, but hardware choices weren't great, a few things never worked properly, etc...  and now Windows 10 is imho as stable as OSX...  I still have an iphone, but my next phone will prob be a samsung... 

rackmounted PC i9 9800 12 cores 3.5ghz (easily oc to 4ghz) 64 gb ram, thunderbolt 3, samsung evo ssd drives, for right about $3200

Like it .  That would be my direction when I need to.   

I noticed this week while food shopping at Walmart they had a 70"  TV in the aisle for something like $799... I remember when big TV was expensive.  ::)

JR

Back