An odd tape deck mod question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVB

Hi all ,

I have a Tascam MSR-24S and I want to mod it to 12 tracks.
So, basically what I want to do is putting ch1 and ch2 together,ch3 and ch4, etc...

But here comes the problem.
The MSR24's ins and outs are -10dB,but the console busses are +4dB.

Now my question is: -is it possible to make this mod and is it possible to make the channels balanced ?

MSR24S specs :
Line in : 50kOhm -10dB
Line out : 220 Ohm -10dB

Thanks for taking the trouble to look at it.

Greets

I have one question.....why?

I can't see why you'd want to do something like this. S/N only goes up by 3dB, and you may get weird things happening if your channel EQ's aren't calibrated perfectly. You're better off using a different headstack if you want better S/N.

The level question isn't too hard, you just need a pad in the front end to knock the inputs down to -10dB level. On the output side, maybe build a rack box with some burrbrown DRV134 balanced line drivers and a low gain buffer out front (any half decent audio Ic will do, NE5532 etc). You may not even want to worry about the outputs because you probably return them through tape returns, not the busses. Are the tape returns -10 on your board?

Cheers,

Kris

To answer your question,the only purpose was to get more tapewidth,and thus better quality.
I'm only using the tape machine to record the drums,so I don't need more tracks.
The setup is like this :
Nuendo3 with RME MADI going to 4 x 8ch ADDA -> VTC console.
The tape outs goes to another pair of ADDA's and are only needed to transfer the drum tracks back to Nuendo.

Searching the web I found this :
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&manufacturer=265

Would the 12dB attenuators do the job ?

Greets

sell it and pick up a 8 track 1 inch JH110

much much easier

im betting you can get $600- $900 for that machine (seems like alot of people on ebay buy em)

I saw an 8 track MCI go at $600 a few weeks ago...

PLUS you get a machine thats balanced... you get even fatter tracks :) better calibration IMHO... and easier to service (as theres tons of parts out there for them) your already using 1 inch tape... so tape stock isnt an issue.. if you think you need 12 tracks then just record tom's to a stereo pair :)

on the downside.. they are a small washing machine

Its been stated completely, but to do this you positively need a new headstack. the problem that most machines have IMO is not the track width but with the electronics. You sweat over having good mic pre's, right? A tape deck is amplifying just the same, and the integrity of the electronics in the deck is always completely understated when people talk about "analog" sound. I have a MSR-16 which is 1/2" 16 track and while its cool, it totally sucks. It doesnt suck because of the tape width, it sucks because of the electronics. If you are "serious" about the sound the deck makes, you'd be way better off, as mentioned, with selling that thing and getting something with better electronics, most old ampex decks had discrete electronics, some old MCI's were clones of those, Id be looking for that... On some studer decks, the IC amplifiers in the electronics will crap out well before the tape itself does, there's a whole world of people praising the sound of tape compression and all that in regards to studers who are really hearing the electronics work hard rather than the tape, they are very confused about where the artifacts are coming from... The sound you hear that you dont like on your deck Im willing to bet is not the track width at all, but the electronics- the electronics are probably not at all close to being designed to push to get the most out of the maximum amount of "poot" for the track width available, thats the real problem. Put those exact electronics on a 2" 8 track and its gonna suck in a real similar way, thats my guess.

dave

Latest posts

Back