1081 question [specifically rectifiers]

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be a diode (didn't check). Or was it even a complete bridge ?

Funny, while BC.., BD.. etc is used a lot here in Europe, when it comes to diodes it looks like we about only using 'your' 1N..-stuff :wink:

Oh. OK. That translates to 1N4001.
Or 1N4004, if your paranoid, which you should be, because 90 percent of all failures are in the power supply. The 4004 is the same price as the 4001 so it's a no brainer.

One amp is enough juice for a 1081, right, all you Neve freaks?
How many 1081's are you going to power with this circuit?

(1N4004=400 volt PIV @ 1 Amp the last time I checked. Ought to bolt right in)

Oops, the 4004 is six cents and the 4001 is five. sorry! :razz:

Oh boy. This is gonna open up a new can of worms I can tell already.

This is the old Schotky vs FREDS vs whatever argument that involves switching noise. People are going to chime in about the benifits vs cost, caps across the diode vs no caps, film bypass caps on the filter lytics, Im' outta this thread.
Have fun, you guys. I will be completing a one tube mic pre based on a WeCo frame grid tube by the time your finished.
Ready, set, go!

:grin:

I didn't mean to discourage a discussion on this. There was a similar thread a while back that I had read, so I was just bowing out so people who may not have been thru this already could have a discussion. Please talk about this folks! Maybe there is some new stuff I have not heard.

cj

cj's right

we do have people here with some interesting opinions on this subject
and whether a discussion sparks or not, it probably doesn't matter.

I'll make this as sort as possible ...
make the power supply with the 1N4004 and get it working correctly
then
make a second supply and try the "ultra fast" and low esr and fancy pants caps
:cool:
document the results then come back and show us the results

I agree, and I'd be interested in the discussion as well. As I posted some months ago, I happened to swap the PS caps in a home hi-fi and the change in sound, in character and quality was flabbergasting. Friends have said similar things about HEX FREDDS and I think this is a somewhat misunderstood or mysterious subject territory for some of us...

cheers,
tommypiper

Tommy, was up. Got your message but deleted it. (accident)Something about you wanting to steal a new DIY micpre? :razz:

You guy's might want to do a search here for he FRED's discussion, if you have not already tried.

Latest posts

Back