R.i.p. chick corea

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky enough to see them together a few years ago.

True Greats.

1005538_artdetailbig_1upyX6_jJZDnI.jpg

An engineer out here who I assisted until he passed worked with chick corea for a long time and was the chief engineer at his studio mad hatter.
Jerry always told this story to the new staff as a way to say prepair for anything and everything.
One day after mixing a project at mad hatter, dude is getting ready to go when chick shows up and starts to play piano in his office. He is joined by John McLaughlin shortly after who showed up  to the studio with an acoustic guitar.
Well he couldn’t just leave, so he casually walks past them to the mic locker and grabs some mics and cables. He sets up a stereo pair just to capture and proceeds to record the duo having a jam using a 2-trk 1/4”. This lasts for hours and the entire time  dude is just going from one 2trk to the other and back as tape runs out.  When they finally leave in the wee hours of the morning dude packs up the 2trks and goes home. He gets a phone call from chick later that day asking if any of that got recorded because they had some good moments. 

fazer said:
  Jerry always told this story to the new staff as a way to say prepair for anything and everything.

Kudos to Jerry.    Chick was always in the moment.    I saw RTF while in collage 1974.  they played a banquet room and we set closes to the stage.  They allowed us to see how exciting playing in the moment could be.  An eye opening night.  The power of music and the power of Chick.

yeah jerry was special. Drove a 1950's Buick special as his daily driver.  he taught me a lot about being ready for anything especially in dealing with musicians and music. You never know when  things will that right moment and you best be ready for it.  I still laugh when I think about  the stuff he told us working for chick at mad hatter, he talked about it so casually because it pretty much was an everyday occurrence with chick, all good stuff and great moments.

I got to see Chick Corea and John McLoughlin in 2008 at the Cork jazz fesitval in the opera house , outstanding show . 

Back