pucho812

The Suez Canal, oh oh.
« on: March 26, 2021, 02:27:16 AM »
This has been interesting. I wonder how much it will effect things in short and long term.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-middle-east-56505413
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

Re: The Suez Canal, oh oh.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 02:43:29 AM »
Im always amazed by the fact that some guy can manouver such monster, seems inconcievable to me.

pucho812

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 05:10:48 AM »
Im always amazed by the fact that some guy can manouver such monster, seems inconcievable to me.

Well apparently he can’t, it ran aground. And that was in calm seas. The route they took apparently drew a ***** on the computer screen prior to coming into the canal. 
Imagine if the seas were like this? 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9JffvTfVLs   
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 05:30:27 AM »
Well apparently he can’t, it ran aground. And that was in calm seas. The route they took apparently drew a ***** on the computer screen prior to coming into the canal. 
Imagine if the seas were like this? 

That captain has balls of steel.

L´Andratté

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 07:53:15 AM »
Well apparently he can’t, it ran aground.
;D
Fascinating, I bet that´s how Angela Merkel feels (the part before the wind shadow)...
"Why not get an assistant to work the faders? Real vintage! And maybe cheaper... ;)"

ubxf

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 08:17:16 AM »
Was it really an accident

living sounds

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 09:11:09 AM »
Calms seas? According to the news report you cited it was "knocked off course by strong winds"...

Anyways, statistically speaking it is only a matter of time until something like this happens...

JohnRoberts

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 10:13:42 AM »
This has been interesting. I wonder how much it will effect things in short and long term.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-middle-east-56505413

Price of oil already responding, surprised it is still stuck. Apparently wind blew it onto sand bar.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not participate in mob hatred.

pucho812

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 10:23:52 AM »
Calms seas? According to the news report you cited it was "knocked off course by strong winds"...

Anyways, statistically speaking it is only a matter of time until something like this happens...

Prior to the canal they drew a ***** in their navigational system and traveled it. So yeah calm seas that eventually  a freak wind and sand storm kick up. Nothing crazy causing massive waves, just enough to push the boat around. See my second link about not calm seas.

pucho812

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 10:25:10 AM »
That captain has balls of steel.

He is just trying to get past the break wall.  He comes close to hitting things but manages to pull it off. I wouldn’t want to be on that boat in that weather.

pucho812

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 10:27:58 AM »
Price of oil already responding, surprised it is still stuck. Apparently wind blew it onto sand bar.

JR

It’s been fascinating to watch the effort to get it off the sand bar. It’s basically 200,000 tonne  with current load and 1300 feet long. Not an easy task for sure.

JohnRoberts

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 10:35:10 AM »
It’s been fascinating to watch the effort to get it off the sand bar. It’s basically 200,000 tonne  with current load and 1300 feet long. Not an easy task for sure.
It seems one obvious strategy is to start unloading that puppy, but thousands of containers would take some significant time, reportedly causing possible toilet paper shortage.

JR

PS: Where is superman when we need him?

dirtyhanfri

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 10:45:46 AM »
I sweat when I have to get the car out of a parking or anything which makes stop a pair of cars, I wouldn't want to be that captain...
Working on it...

living sounds

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 01:24:28 PM »
Weighed against the cost to the world economy could it be that the best strategy might be to blast that ship into a thousand pieces?

living sounds

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 01:26:30 PM »
Prior to the canal they drew a ***** in their navigational system and traveled it. So yeah calm seas that eventually  a freak wind and sand storm kick up. Nothing crazy causing massive waves, just enough to push the boat around. See my second link about not calm seas.

Drawing that dick might be unfortunate in hindsight, but is there any causal link between that and the beaching?

JohnRoberts

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 02:08:00 PM »
I can't find the image but I saw a picture of a huge shovel trying to dig out the stuck container ship... Compared to the much larger ship the shovel looked like a tinker toy.

JR
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 02:16:02 PM by JohnRoberts »

pucho812

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 02:17:41 PM »
Drawing that dick might be unfortunate in hindsight, but is there any causal link between that and the beaching?

Drinking on the job?
I speculate of course but maybe the pilot was drunk at the wheel?

pucho812

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 02:18:27 PM »
I can't find the image but I saw a picture of a huge shovel trying to dig out the stuck container ship... Compared to the much larger ship the shovel looked like a tinker toy.

JR

Are you referring to this one?

JohnRoberts

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 02:21:10 PM »
Are you referring to this one?
exactly....

JR

pucho812

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2021, 04:09:26 PM »
exactly....

JR

I read a few posts elsewhere talking about unskilled labor and the work involved basically saying that running a backhoe was unskilled labor. I disagreed, to run a backhoe with speed and precision takes a great deal of skill.  I hope they dislodge it soon.

on the lighter side of this,  my friend sent me a message with a stuck english narrow boat trying to do a u turn in a channel with the caption up close it's not so bad.