Spitfire stereo slave build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, everyone.

I had this Epiphone Valve Jr that I acquired for free after a gig a very long time ago. I had modded it some time later with the EPJR kit from Mercury Magnetics. Then it sat around after I starting building amps from scratch as I was much happier with how those sounded. I decided to gut it and use the chassis, power transformer, and choke to build a stereo slave for my Matchless Spitfire build. The setup goes in pedal board preamp/boost stages, in Spitfire amp, out Spitfire amp effects send to modulation/delay section of pedal board, then back to the effects return on the amp. For the stereo side of the modulation/delay section of the pedal board, I only needed the phase inverter and power section of another amp, so I built a circuit consisting of those two stages. This saved the use a tube. I also used a solid state rectifier as that is what the power transformer was designed to be a drop in replacement in the original Epiphone amp, so no 5V winding or a HV CT. I did a smoke test before I shut down for the night and nothing blew up. All of the voltages are about 20V higher than the Spitfire schematic and that probably has something to do with one less 12AX7 being used, and it is not high enough to cause concern.

More testing tomorrow.

Thanks!

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I forgot to mention the output transformer is an AC15 OT recreation from Sour Sound. This is what I am using in the Spitfire build with which this amp is to be used.

Latest posts

Back