Telefunken V72 Choke Shoot Out

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
Winston O Boogie was nice enough to send me a original choke for a V72. It needed a breakout lead soldered but other than that, it was fine. I had built a DIY V72 already with a homemade choke, so I decided it would be cool to see how good a job I did.

This is the choke on the second stage, EF804S, that feeds the cap which feeds the output transformer.
I am using a Triad HS-52 output.

Original choke: DCR = 11.76 K Ohms 800 Henries on a Gen Rad 1650-B set on the Ls setting

DIY Choke: DCR - 1.9 K Ohms 150 Henries on Gen Rad, set to Lp.

177 Henries on B-K precision.

Original choke had too many henries to measure on the B-K.

Here are the two chokes. The DIY version is wound on a Ni core, gapped 0.001 625EI Lams from Mag Met. The stock version is on a one piece M6 self gapped lam.

http://vacuumbrain.com/The_Lab/TA/Telefunken/V-72/v72_choke_final.jpg

http://vacuumbrain.com/The_Lab/TA/Telefunken/V-72/v72choke_complete.jpg

Here is a freq plot of the two chokes. I used a 50k resistor in series as a dummy load, and measured the ac volts across the choke at different frequencies. Not exactly the most scientific approach, but I was going to do a listening test also, so who cares.

Here is the graph. Original choke is green, DIY red:

http://vacuumbrain.com/The_Lab/TA/Telefunken/V-72/v72_choke_shootout.jpg

The original had 4 times the henries, which meant better bass rolloff, as expected. The DIY choke had a little better highend, but nothing to write home about. This could be expected from having less turns which means less capacitance.

Next was the listening test. I used a SM57 and an Audio Technica 4033 on the input and drove a headphone amp with some Sony Pros hooked up.

It was very close. Nothing bad about either of the chokes. I could not hear any difference withh my stock headphone amp, so I used my other headphone amp that has zero headroom, and zero output, but an extremely detailed sound.

With the second headphone amp and carefully listening, I noticed the guitar coming thru slightly better with the DIY choke and a little less boom on the bottom. The bass rolloff on the freq plot did not really show up that much on the listening tests. This is probably because the choke sits on the other side of the first mic stage, and thus is being fed a stiff enough signal to where the less henries really did not drag it down much.

A little more bass rolloff might not be a bad thing on a vocal mic. If I was going to mic the next door neighbor's sub wolfer in his 63 Impala, I might want to use the original choke. LEss low end also helps to minimize what I call "condenser pop", that sound you get when you jar a mic, which is probably the diaphram hitting the backplate.

So all in all, I am very happy with the DIY choke, which is good because it would be a pain in the rear to swap it out. The V-72 amp sounds absolutely unbelievable on even a Shure SM-57, perhaps better than any of my other pre's, which includes a Langevin, Melcor, VAlley People and Telefunken V76.

I would highly recomend the V-72 as a biginner's mic pre, as it is fairly insensitive to component values and types, has only two tubes in a two stage design, and will sound good no matter how bad you screw up.

Here is a diagram showing my V72-S (Beatles/EMI version) and the voltages using a slightly higher B+ supply. The two plate voltages on the second stage are shown, using both chokes. The lesser DCR on the DIY is responsible for the higher reading.

v72_volts.jpg

That would be cool. Maybe I could kidnap Tommypiper and his V76 to come along for the ride.
And maybe Winston could drop by with a R*e*d*d 4-7.
An EF summit.
(stinkin EMI attorneys, I'd like to castrate them!)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

cj i followed your v72 post very dilligently and enjoyed it very much..
thanks for offering such wonderful info..
in particular the wide tolereances of the components and the advice that this was a nice easy DIY for beginners...
ALSO: congratulations on your DIY choke results..great job :thumb:
i am glad it worked out so nice for you :grin:

again 1000 thanks
later
ts

that lucite choke I think is the coolest looking DIY project I have seen to date.

It would look so cool to wind all your own transformers like that for a guitar amp or hifi amp and then put a lucite box over the top of the chasis to protect it.

dave

Thanks you guys!
Everybody should build one of these things, as they are pretty easy. Chokes available from Sowter, Cinemag, Lundahl....

I am not using the input x-former roll off cap, so maybe the DIY choke I am coming out about the same....

Winston, which resistor on top for the cathode resostors, the 640, right? I fooled around with those values and did not notice a ton of difference, just a little gain. I think I used the 909 because it was all I had in a precision 1 watt and I think it boosted gain a bit due to less neg feedback.

I have a Triad HS-50 on the output, Ollie is supposed to send me an original V-72 to look at, so maybe I can do an A/B on output iron.

Dave, maybe I will wind you an API/Lucite output transformer. I am sure you proboably have a rack laying around somewhere that you could bolt it to.

Kayaked the South Fork American at 4000 cfs last weekend, three swims, one shoulder on Meatgrinder, two hike outs, and two portages on Troublemaker( I hate getting hurt at the beginning of summer!) , other than that, a clean run for everybody.
cj :razz:

Kayaked the South Fork American at 4000 cfs last weekend, three swims, one shoulder on Meatgrinder, two hike outs, and two portages on Troublemaker( I hate getting hurt at the beginning of summer!) , other than that, a clean run for everybody.
cj

cool deal! do you rock climb too ... i do .. i love it :grin:

later
ts

I need to learn so I can portage around some Class 6 stuff.
Actually, two of the most famous Kayakers who helped pioneer the sport started out as rock climbers. Lars Holbek was the first to solo El Capitan, at age 17.
Chuck Stanley also was a good climber.

Oh, I forgot about Royal Robbins. He was on a lot of first descents out here in CA. and elswhere around the world. I think he started North Face or Patagonia, I can't remember which, but got out of it because people who didn't know what they were doing were filing equipment related lawsuits.

I don't know which is more dangerous, gravity or the river. I guess the river will give you a fighting chance, as opposed to decking off a big wall.

"Royal Robbins
When Royal Robbins was diagnosed with arthritis in the mid-'70s, he took up kayaking and attacked it with the same vengeance that earned him fame as a climber. At an age when many are looking to retire, Robbins switched from rocks to rivers, eventually completing over 30 first descents in California and Chile. From 1980 to 1984, Robbins scored first descents on several major Sierra Nevada waterways, including the San Joaquin, South Fork and Upper Kern, Middle Fork of the Kings, and Yosemite's Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. Robbins was also one of the first Americans to raft and kayak Siberia's Bashkaus River in 1988."

Anyway, it would be nice to know how to do the rope work needed to get around something like this:

portage_1.jpg

damn thats humbling to think that the first person up el capitan was that young. Nuts.

Man, kayaking a canyon like that is serious serious comittment. I once hiked up the narrows at zion, at the top you can almost touch both sides of the canyon with outstretched arms, that was pretty scary, Id be horrified doing that in a kayak. does that river follow the 49 down or does the 49 just cross it?

I think the rule with lucite transformers is you have to see them exposed. If you wound me one (or two,hehe) Id feel obligated to mount them on the front panel. Those things look too cool to hide inside a chasis.

dave

I think he wasn't the first, just the first by himself.
Most of the good climbers are pretty young.

That canyon is on the Devil's Postpile run of the San Joaquin.
One of the more difficult runs to do.

Back