Project Mavis continued.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaMurphy

Hi folks,

Nice too see you all back on-line again!!

Tonight I launched a simple website devoted to Project Mavis. Follow the link http://members.chello.nl/m.vanoijen if you're interested.

The story began as follows:

I recently bought an 'seventies' Mavis console. It's called 'Mavis 15/4' which stand for 15 channels into 4 busses.

I did a search on the internet and I came up with nothing.

The console has got some nice parts. P&G faders and Beyer input trannies.
Unfortunately I discovered that the internal wiring is seriously damaged, some of the output PCB's are missing and most faders are screwed.

What does work then? Well, the big PSU (+30V, +18V and -18V), eight of the mic pre / eq / routing modules and the nice little VU meters.

Most of the transistors are of the type BC384L.

So I thought let's rack the mic pre's as daw frontend.

Now I have some questions:
- Has anyone heard of Mavis?
- Is it worth it to spend the time and money to rack the modules?
- The gain of the modules is limited. Is it easy to increase the gain? ( I've got no schematics )
- Is it wise to build a phantom power unit in front of the 'fragile' Beyers?

Now you were all to kind to convince me that it would be a shame to rack the modules and it would be better to get the baby fixed.

So I'm still looking for a tech in The Netherlands, Belgium or Germany that can help me out.

Thanks,

Murphy

PS,

I pretty new at TT but I think it's an invaluable resource of information. I've seen last night's action from the start and I totally agree with this move. Just hope the old archives can be restored.

Interesting. The module guts look rather Neve-ish, what with being discrete and having all the tants and the big trimpots, etc..

I wish I had info for you as I would love to know more.

Please keep us posted on the progress.

JC

Hi Murphy,

If you really can't find a local tech for Mavis I can recommend one or two superb technicians in the UK, but obviously that is a fair distance.

I reckon that however good the tech you find is, they are probably unlikely to have experience with Mavis as she is so rare. In light of this I would suggest emailing / pm-ing Bo Hansen, if Sweden is not too far out for you. Bo is known in the UK for good work on Trident and Neve, and although doesn't know Mavis directly I think there are a few people here that can vouch for his work, hopefully he could fit Mavis into his schedule.

Justin

In what sense are the Pand Gs screwed?

They can usually be taken apart and sorted, (you need the right grease and some soapy water) very simple - well engineered things.

Incidentally, has the guy who is the Canada/US Pand G man been told of the move, I can't remember his name now.

Also, I would be tempted to keep the console whole, maybe use with micamp out inserts. Would save a whole lot of racking, supply building etc, and all those other parts wuld probably go to waste.

Jonathan

Hi Murphy,

Wow, great site!

I'm glad you've brought this topic "over"- it's a really exciting project.

Thanks for the pics- but those mods make me feel...urgh...who's been using a solder gun!! :cry:

(or it coulda been mice with hot teeth?!?)

I second Justins idea of contacting Bo- he's a very knowledgable and helpful guy! Let us know how the restoration goes.

Mark

Just been looking closely at the pics:

http://members.chello.nl/m.vanoijen/11output_section.html

The Group 1 and 2 outputs seem to have some sort of crossover feature- the outputs are split to bass/mid/treble. Which makes me think it could have also been used for live sound?

You can see the "echo send", 4 Group outputs, Monitor (foldback) 1 and 2, possibly a "slate" (cue) output too.

I'd love to see a block diagram. When faced with an new undocumented desk, the best thing to do is get a big piece of paper and draw all the input and output connectors. Then begin to build up a block diagram- trace the mic in connector to its associated board/module, find the Group busses, work out the power supply lines etc. Ooh...too much fun!!

:thumb:

Mark

Dale Manquen, "The P&G Man", reporting as ordered SIR!

My catalogs don't show an 1820 model fader. They jump from 1500 to 1900. I will send an e-mail to the factory to see if the 1820 is just a different panel arrangement or some other trivial change.

Visit my website at www.manquen.net for information on fader maintenance (and Lionel trains!)

[quote author="Mark Burnley"]Just been looking closely at the pics:

I'd love to see a block diagram. When faced with an new undocumented desk, the best thing to do is get a big piece of paper and draw all the input and output connectors. Then begin to build up a block diagram- trace the mic in connector to its associated board/module, find the Group busses, work out the power supply lines etc. Ooh...too much fun!!
[/quote]

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing first. I have some kind of feeling it is going to be a DIY project anyway since I can't seem to find a tech in my neighborhood. I'd rather have someone experienced do it because I suspect it's gonna cost me at least a year to get it all done.

I have a pretty good picture in my head of a block diagram just from looking at the wiring and the connectors. So that will be an easy start.

[quote author="adrianh"]I just sent an email to Dale (the P&G man).
I had his company bookmarked so I looked up the email and sent it.
Hope he shows![/quote]

Thanks for mailing him....

Just look at that... he's fast..

[quote author="Dale Manquen"]Dale Manquen, "The P&G Man", reporting as ordered SIR!

My catalogs don't show an 1820 model fader. They jump from 1500 to 1900. I will send an e-mail to the factory to see if the 1820 is just a different panel arrangement or some other trivial change.

Visit my website at www.manquen.net for information on fader maintenance (and Lionel trains!)[/quote]

Wow Dale that's a quick response.
Thanks for your help. Nice website too, lots of reading to do.

I'll take some pictures of a fader of which the enclosure has been removed. Maybe you can see if it looks familiar.

Murphy

Murphy, the P&G factory advises me:
"This is a very old wire-wound fader that we have no information on. It was manufactured at Christchurch, before P&G moved to Wales."

When you take some pictures, we can see if there is anything that looks familiar inside.

My former business partner purchased Eddie Offord's Mavis console from him in 1986. It lived in my studio, Audio Animations, in Atlanta Georgia until I was forced to sell it due to divorce in 1993. It went to Harbor Sound in Boston, and from there I have no idea. I would love to have any info on Mavis channel strips, as I want to have some recreated for my current studio www.audiolab.org in Boise, Idaho. I loved Mavis and miss her terribly.

Back