KA5532?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcs

I needed some NE5532s, but then I noticed the Fairchild KA5532 in the Farnell catalogue. Is it any different from a NE5532?

The KA5532s were cheaper, so I bought some...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

BK170? I cannot find it on their website. :?:
There is the KSK30 that is a replacement for the 2SK30.
Oh, there is a BS170, but that is a MOSFET.

Im sorry, BS170.
I was getting hungry and thinking of a BK Fish sandwich!
(the only thing good at Burger King!)
Now help that other guy!
:grin:

I am not a fan of Fairchild semis. OnSemi parts seem to work out better. I would pay a little more and get the TI 5532 parts also.

I'll tell my fav story on Fairchild...
We had a problem a while back where all of a sudden, we couldn't get product to pass THD tests...it was nasty. We had just gotten a new run of PCBs and found that the output drivers had been changed from Moto's (this was just before they became "ON") to Fairchild's. One of the techs said, "Maybe its the drivers", I said, "Well, I can't imagine, but let's change one set out and retest". And guess what?

We refuse to use Fairchild in the signal path from that day forward.

I'd buy JRC NJM5532 rather, I think. It'd be interesting to do some tests against some Signetics 5532 I have been hoarding for a long time. :thumb:

I like the fish sandwich from McD's better, though the BK has a good flavor too. Tried that new Angus burger from BK? The sauce is interesting but I dunno bout the meat...I think its just plain ol cow.

Peace!
Charlie

Signetics and Motorola ICs were used in SSLs in the mid 1980's. Some coneoles ended up with some modules with signetics and others with Motorolas.

When customers started asing why some modues weren't as good as others, it was traced to Motorola 5534s. Some customers who asked nicely were given several tubes of Signetics 5534s and told to keep what they didn't need.

A local studio was clearing shop recently and threw out seveal hundred Signetics 5534s.

I wept.

Keith

i'd like to see the jrc5532 against the signetics too.. the jrc's are SO cheap.. i bought a bunch of TI5532 at .90$ when the jrc's are like .33$ a peice..... I use a lot of jrc voltage regulators that are very good though.

i use TI and Signetics5532s in my console almost exclusively but can't tell much difference.. i think the signetics are a bit more clear on the top end though.. anybody have this same experience?

[quote author="tk@halmi"]I am not a fan of Fairchild semis. OnSemi parts seem to work out better. I would pay a little more and get the TI 5532 parts also.[/quote]

[quote author="SonsOfThunder"]I'll tell my fav story on Fairchild...

We refuse to use Fairchild in the signal path from that day forward.

[/quote]

Just wondering if it only applies to monolytics or discreet as also...?

Rafafredd,
Usually we don't have the choice of F'child on ICs, just discretes. If you want to know a favorite technique for discovering some interesting things about some discretes, I'll share...I like this for looking at mosfets and BJTs, though its usually the TO-220 or -247 package...haven't tried it on TO-92s though. But I think I did it once on an DIP8.

Take a pair of good flush cutters, lay the flat sides of the blades on the tab of the device under investigation with the open end of the cutters toward the leads. Now watch your fingers and wear safety glasses for this next part! Squeeze the cutters and the plastic should fly off, leaving most or all of the die on the tab...only one of the three leads will be left holding on. Now you can see the size of the die. If the die is intact, you can use a magnifier to get some idea of how the die is laid out. It is very interesting to see what different manufacturers do with the SAME part number just on the die size alone. Let me know if this isn't clear and I can post a pic.

[quote author="rafafredd"]Just wondering if it only applies to monolytics or discreet as also...?[/quote]
I have used a lot of Fairchild logic chips (74HCxx and 74HCTxx). They are often also cheap. I haven't had any problems with those yet...

I haven't tested the KA5532s yet. Has anybody actually used them?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Let me know if this isn't clear and I can post a pic.

That would be nice...

So, Farnell sells those BC184C´s but it´s all Fairchild. Should I try it or just leave it alone and use some bc109 or bc549C?

Latest posts

Back