Why are there 0R resistors?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan

Administrator
Admin
OK, this is one of those things that's bugged me for sometime. It's one of those questions that seem sooo strangely obvious but "nonsensical."

So, the question is why are there 0 resistance resistors?

Thanks,
-Ethan :grin:

So the pick and place robots can grip them. IIRC the robots don't grip plain wire for jumpers.

The funny part is that you can get the 0R's in both 5% and 1% tolerance. Makes you think... :roll:

In my part-time job at SKS, they have an actual 0R-resistor, but it's pretty big, and they have to cool that with helium and nitrogen continuously. It makes a pretty good electromagnet though.

Jakob E.

I used to love those "zerohm" jumpers when I was fixing guitar amps. One of my favorite mods for modern Marshalls was to replace the grid stoppers on the PCB with zerohms and relocate the stoppers directly on the socket pins. That cured a lot of fried tube/fried transformer problems arising from high frequency oscillation in the output stage.

Sure, I could have used, say, a piece of 22-ga. solid wire, but the zerohms looked more professional.

Back