100w plexi PT without center tap?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eki1988

Hi! So, I’m about to build yet another plexi clone. I aquired a transformer set, but it has a flaw: it doesn’t have center tap with ht wires. So how I’m going to wire this, as the layout has ht ct wire but my pt has not?

Thanks for advance!🥳

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 4
You need a bridge rectifier .
Its possible with the original Marshall layout to reconfigure the diodes into a bridge on the turret board .
Most certainly do check the transformer specs and make sure its right for the job ,as Abbey says .

Look carefully , the CT connection goes to the O/P transformer primary , it looks like that board is indeed configured for a non centre tapped winding with a bridge rectifier.

Last edited:
Its possible with the original Marshall layout to reconfigure the diodes into a bridge on the turret board .
Most certainly do check the transformer specs and make sure its right for the job ,as Abbey says .

Look carefully , the CT connection goes to the O/P transformer primary , it looks like that board is indeed configured for a non centre tapped winding with a bridge rectifier.
I think it should work, as it is bugera 1960 PT🤷‍♂️

Right you are! There is already a diode bridge. So it should work without that center tap.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.png
    IMG_0076.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Two large electrolytic caps in series require a resistor divider to balance the voltages .
It can also act as a bleed resistor ,so the caps gradually discharge when the amp is powered down .
it doesnt waste much power when the equipment is energised , but it can help prevent you geting a nasty shock if your poking around inside the chassis later .

Its case #2 Abbey , but two 100uf caps are run in series,

Don't forget to add 2 resistors to first 2 filter caps (where the CT would go)
Does it mean the original arrangement is that? It would indeed take care of balancing capacitor voltage.
recta.jpg

EDIT: I checked the Plexi schemo, it is indeed that.
However, they have not considered balancing voltage for the caps that go after, although the total voltagheis about the same (not much DC drop in the choke)..

rectM.jpg

Two large electrolytic caps in series require a resistor divider to balance the voltages .
It can also act as a bleed resistor ,so the caps gradually discharge when the amp is powered down .
it doesnt waste much power when the equipment is energised , but it can help prevent you geting a nasty shock if your poking around inside the chassis later .

Its case #2 Abbey , but two 100uf caps are run in series,
Resistor divider? To ground? What size would that need to be?

In this case they supply a non center tapped transformer and the caps are connected in series to 0V ,
So one resistor from the ht line across the upper cap ,then another across the lower to 0V .
220-270kohms is the usual value , best check dissipation to make sure but 1 or 2 watt components are usually enough .

Err on the side of caution ,
generously over rating like Abbey suggests means less thermal stress on the component ,
that affects MTBF ,

At the current rate of consumption of the planets resources it might not be such a bad idea to think long game ,especially with something as personal as an amp to a guitarist .

im just builing a reworking of a kld amp at the moment the tranny on that does not have a center tap its just the two outputs from the tx straight to a bridge rectifier with the negative side of the rectifier going to ground. i have a kld amp it works well and sounds great. one of the best amps i have ever had

I see no reason to use a pot ,it needlessly loads down everything .
If you show the schematic instead of the build diagram its easier to see at a glance whats happening.

I see no reason to use a pot ,it needlessly loads down everything .
If you show the schematic instead of the build diagram its easier to see at a glance whats happening.
☝️ Yes, it would be a lot easier to see the entire schematic and know where this is in the circuit and how it's supposed to function!

Latest posts

Back