+15/-15 , 48 Volt PSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
I threw this together to power the transistor based projects I am doing.
Just an ol piece of Altec sheetmetal that my friend Andy threw me.
A Condor regulated +15/-15 supply and a DIY 48 volt phantom supply.

I like the big Pilot lamps! Four octal sockets on top for power distribution..

15_48_1.jpg

The Condor I bought at the surplus shop for about $12.95. It has short circuit protection, fine tune adjustments for the +-15, current limit adjustments and 2N3055 output transistors, so it can't be half bad!
I think they use them in Hospital equipment, so it should be prety clean.

Top of the Condor supply. They also sell them in the Allied catalog I believe. Or was it digi-key? 800 ma should be plenty of juice to power four rack projects.

15_48_2.jpg

The phantom supply is very simple, just on half of a 60 volt centertapped transformer, a rectifier bridge, a four section RC filter with lots of capaitance, and a bleeder resistor.
Power is supplied by way of some octal tube sockets and plugs.

I just bolted down that +- 15 on one side and added the +48 on the other side. Double fused pwr input. Why? Because all I had was a double fuse block! Whatever...

15_48_3.jpg

This actually seems a nice time to bring up a question I have. I was thinking about putting my power supplies for various projects in one 2U rack case. Two of Tim Ryan's power supplies and one of Joe Malone's. Is this advisable? Set this young man straight!

NIce and CoOl Chris....

the light looks like a huge green jewel light from a fender amp....

whacha workin' on? green pre? opamp?

That light is about an inch and a quarter in diameter, so I know when that things on, or supposed to be on.
I have the API thing, a Valley People pre, and a Langevin pre. Then a Neve might be nice to round everything out.
Then 670, then 8 to 2 mixer, then TRACKING!
:grin:
oh yeah, SSL and 1176, what the heck.

Back