1969 Tektronix film about printed circuits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fascinating. I can still rememeber double sided PCBs being drawn in red and blue but this technique predates that.

Cheers

Ian

Back in the 1970's, I recall Bishop Graphics "pioneering" the two color system.  However, mid 1970's, I did  my first two sided board using steps similar to what is on that video.

IE,  light table, a translucent grid, and perhaps three layers on top (pads, top side, bottom side).  Tis been over 40 years and I don't recall the specifics except for the fact I used black 2:1 patterns and "crepe" tape for the traces.

Bri

I think it was back in 1979 I was working on a missile control electronics. It consisted of  about a dozen plug in boards  wired together point to point. The trouble was, by the time the board had been wired together and the inevitable mistakes corrected, the assembly as a whole failed the strict quality control standards. I persuaded them to replace the huge wiring harness with an 8 layer PCB which was cutting edge technology at the time. If I recall correctly. one draughtsman and I worked solidly for a month or more on the hand drawn layout.. I am pleased to say it solved the QA problems and the test firings were successful.

Cheers

Ian

It is a little hard and painful to remember the old days and old ways,  but here is a picture of my drafting table (an old desk) with my drawing board and T-square where I used to design metal chassis with pencil and paper....

I still have some old bishops graphics tape and footprints for laying out PCBs.

FWIW ICs used to be laid out by hand... In the early 70's the company where I worked made some semi custom ICs (Interdesign). All but the top metalization layer was standardized, and a custom top metal connected the devices differently to perform custom functions. Not as flexible as a full custom ICs but a fraction of the cost. As I recall the top rubylith looked similar to a hand taped PCB layout, but blown up many times more.

JR

Attachments

• drafting.png
    drafting.png
    214.1 KB
Back