Mavis Prima MPA-81s is a very nice donor mic platform

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems cryo-treating audio gear is not new audio foolery concept after all. It's just that somehow I was lucky enough not to encounter it until now.

If it's not measurable, yet as much as 5% audible, I can't adress it at this point. This goes beyond my understanding of the world we live in. I am still getting one of these mics sooner or later to test terrestrial aspects of these microphones. Just by looking at pictures, I see several issues in the construction.

Marvelous post by CTP Cryogenics on their IG page where they occasionally, between treatment of camshafts, brake discs, do some tubes. Love the marketing plot under the image.

Then, there are HEALTHY people who want their brains frozen, so....

While wasting whole day on this new concept I found that ChatGPT summarized it much better than i ever could.

Cryogenic treatment, often referred to as cryo treatment, involves cooling materials to extremely low temperatures (usually below -300°F or -150°C) to alter their microstructure and potentially improve their properties. Companies like CTP Cryogenics claim that such treatments can enhance the performance of audio equipment by reducing internal stresses, improving conductivity, and enhancing durability.

### Claims and Support

1. **Improved Conductivity:** Proponents argue that cryo treatment can realign the molecular structure of metals, reducing resistivity and improving electrical conductivity. For audio equipment, this theoretically translates to better signal transmission and improved sound quality.

2. **Durability:** Cryogenic treatment is also claimed to enhance the durability of materials by relieving internal stresses and making the structure more uniform.

3. **Sound Quality:** Some audiophiles and manufacturers report subjective improvements in sound quality, including clarity, detail, and overall musicality after cryo treatment.

### Controversy and Criticism

1. **Scientific Evidence:** The scientific community is divided on the effectiveness of cryo treatment for audio equipment. While some studies suggest potential benefits in terms of material properties, there is limited empirical evidence directly linking cryo treatment to significant improvements in audio performance.

2. **Subjectivity:** Improvements in sound quality are often subjective and can be influenced by a placebo effect. Audiophiles' perceptions can be affected by their expectations and biases.

3. **Skepticism:** Many audio engineers and skeptics argue that the claimed benefits of cryo treatment for audio equipment are exaggerated and not supported by rigorous scientific testing. They contend that any improvements are likely marginal and not easily perceptible in typical listening conditions.

### Conclusion

While there is some theoretical basis for cryo treatment potentially improving the properties of audio equipment, the evidence supporting significant audio performance enhancements is limited and often anecdotal. The controversy mainly revolves around the subjective nature of perceived sound improvements and the lack of rigorous scientific validation. If considering CTP Cryogenics, it is advisable to research customer reviews and industry feedback to gauge the company's trustworthiness and the potential value of their services.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240722_001848_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240722_001848_Instagram.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Marvelous post by CTP Cryogenics in their IG post where they occasionally between treatment of camshafts, brake discs do some tubes. Love the marketing plot under the image.

I particularly appreciate their putting "noise" in quote marks 😆

OK, neither the Vanguard or Mavis mics in the original post are tube mics, and don't claim to have anything cryogenically treated.

Fascinating though it is, can I please ask that we keep on topic, or start a new thread?

Apparently Vanguard does claim to cryogenically treat microphone components and that it improves them. @Wordsushi's new Vanguard V4 video credulously repeats stuff he was told by Derek from Vanguard which seems a whole lot like marketing BS.

3. **Skepticism:** Many audio engineers and skeptics argue that the claimed benefits of cryo treatment for audio equipment are exaggerated and not supported by rigorous scientific testing.

Yep. I once left my favorite headphones overnight in a car on a very cold (-15 F/-26 C) night, and they were ruined. I have seen the deleterious effects on guitars left overnight in very cold cars - they never play or sound the same afterward.

Nevertheless, I am fairly certain freezing WILL improve the flow of electrons in my 2 AWG four-foot long $400 OFC audio cables with $150 gold sputtered AC plugs and special Dacron weave insulation ... well, at least after they thaw out.)

So, count me among the skeptics.

[He typed donning his magnetic wrist bracelet, and soaking his charcoal infused insoles with WD-40 to detoxify his liver, improve circulation and minimize arthritis pain, while rubbing his favorite rabbit's foot, and anointing himself with snake oil.] :)

Anonymous

I live in Canada, we don't need cryogenic treatment here. Music sounds better up north :)

I wonder if those 100MOhms and higher values (1 GOhms) thick films resistors have an impact on the sound, because when you buy them from Ohmite at mouser they are like 7$ each which is almost half the price of cheap chinese condenser microphones.

I wonder if those 100MOhms and higher values (1 GOhms) thick films resistors have an impact on the sound, because when you buy them from Ohmite at mouser they are like 7$ each which is almost half the price of cheap chinese condenser microphones.

Probably not. But those $7 ones are also waaaaaaay higher-power than you'll ever need in a mic. I'm partial to the TE Connectivity RGP0207 series (sub-$1 a piece).

Back