$20.00 to save your A**

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iomegaman

GDIY Supporter
Here is a picture of a current limter I made following the instructions of "Uncle Doug" found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFRwOnLsZI

I have gotten into the habit of plugging in ALL of my builds in each stage of the process to test etc...

Today I had wired the main power TranX as "220" when I live in N. America and we have 110 give or take a few volts...

I think the device cost me less than $20.00 and the most expensive part was the light bulb which is a really high wattage...

Anyway this thing saved my transformer by glowing up really bright and I immediately shut everything off to look-see...that's when I discovered my wiring dumb...it was a transformer that came from Mouser and the two leads were already sleeved...so I am not completely to blame...not sure why it came this way, but the current limiter told me "Danger Will Robinson"...

Build one, it's cheap especially if you work on tube gear...

Attachments

• IMG_3339.JPG
    IMG_3339.JPG
    1.9 MB
Not to detract from your excellent TIP about a lamp limiter, but-

Putting 110V into a proper 220V connection should have been fine; just crap performance.

Getting a winding polarity wrong WILL act like a near-dead-short. You can get it wrong in the 110V connection also, with equally ugly result.

Yes for sure, it was a horse before the cartel sort of thing where I was just checking my switched for proper wiring etc...and I simply took the leads as they were sleeved and it was wrong...I will double-check and slow down a bit not taking merciless electricity for granted...

Back