220 to 110 step down for my La2a clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studmuffin

Forgive me, I feel like I'm hanging in the wrong place really.  I mean I don't even know one end of a soldering iron from another, though I guess I'd soon find out.

I've - perhaps foolishly - bought an La2a clone from the USA on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230674348687&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123 It should arrive next week. Thin... edges of my technical know-how. Many thanks

It is possible that the original builder used a "universal primary" power transformer that can run on either 220 or 110, 50 or 60hz, depending on how wires inside are configured. IF that is the case and the builder followed certain well-known building practices, it shouldn't be too hard to reconfigure it for 220V. You could do it yourself or have a tech do it. Maybe you can ask the seller which power transformer was used?

It looks like a hammond to me, the big "better performance" ones are "universal primary" by default.

baadc0de said:
It is possible that the original builder used a "universal primary" power transformer that can run on either 220 or 110, 50 or 60hz, depending on how wires inside are configured. IF that is the case and the builder followed certain well-known building practices, it shouldn't be too hard to reconfigure it for 220V. You could do it yourself or have a tech do it. Maybe you can ask the seller which power transformer was used?

It looks like a hammond to me, the big "better performance" ones are "universal primary" by default.

Thanks for the reply.  The answer is that I don't know.  The seller did mention that these units (they've sold seven of them) were configured for 110v and that the only problem they'd had was when someone plugged one into 220v (you don't say!)

Of course I guess I could wait till it arrives then lug it over to my tech guy so he can have a look, but he's an hour away and it's not always easy to find time to get there.

Hmmmm...  patience was never a virtue of mine!

The dealer came back to me.  Said it would need a different transformer to operate at 220v.  I guess he means the mains transformer?

Now I'm wondering if there is an La2a guro somewhere close-ish by that I could take it to for a general look-over and perhaps a conversion to 220v.

Would this forum be an appropriate place to find someone like that?  Where to post?

I'm in the Midlands UK.

You don't necessarily need an la2a guru, just a studio tech or a good DIYer. You can probably get someone like that in the Jobs section at the bottom of this forum.

Some tube transformers are 110V only, shame you got one of those. I always practice getting dual primary transformers so if I ever move to somewhere else, my gear will work with just swapping a few wires around. I'm still to lazy to have a switch for it but .. :)

peter frickin purpose, what uP?

the guy hates me but i still think he is cool.

frickin brummy,  or even worse, glasgow rufian,

hangs with keefer so be careful

dropping resistors on the pri.

but wait,much heat,

and the j operator

resistance works at 90 degre angle to inductance, so you need more than you think.

iso transformers are huge, and a pain to lug around,

you could use a huge cap, calculate 1/2pifL

no heat, as it is reactive, but very dangerous,

l ron hubbard used this trick to charge nicads in his early e meters, but he is dead, so go for a cheap replaement xfmr by hammond with the split pri

yes, i even reversed the e meter,

and the toaster,

and my swiss watch, and the water heater, and the volvo transmission,

anything with bolts or electronics and i will hack it,

CJ said:
peter frickin purpose, what uP?

the guy hates me but i still think he is cool.

frickin brummy,  or even worse, glasgow rufian,

hangs with keefer so be careful

dropping resistors on the pri.

but wait,much heat,

and the j operator

resistance works at 90 degre angle to inductance, so you need more than you think.

iso transformers are huge, and a pain to lug around,

you could use a huge cap, calculate 1/2pifL

no heat, as it is reactive, but very dangerous,

l ron hubbard used this trick to charge nicads in his early e meters, but he is dead, so go for a cheap replaement xfmr by hammond with the split pri

yes, i even reversed the e meter,

and the toaster,

and my swiss watch, and the water heater, and the volvo transmission,

anything with bolts or electronics and i will hack it,

Thanks very much for the post.  Could someone please check my translation:

From this I garner that I could take my La2a to my usual pro-audio tech and ask him to replace the mains transformer with low-cost replacement from Hammond with a split PRI. 

Is that correct or should I start a new thread asking for instruictions how to convert my unit from 110v to 220v?

Many thanks

nahh man what he really means is that u should get ur arsein maplins and ask them for usa to uk voltage converter.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/200w-uk-to-usa-voltage-convertor-13358

leadbreath said:
nahh man what he really means is that u should get ur arsein maplins and ask them for usa to uk voltage converter.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/200w-uk-to-usa-voltage-convertor-13358

Perfect - thanks!

that might be a switcher,  be careful, mucho noise,
sorry for the weird post,

but you can use caps to drop voltage.

just get the right transformer from hammond and hope that it does not blow up.

Latest posts

Back