500/51x racks - Is there something missing?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taliska

Hi,

So I've been building far too much 500/51x gear recently, and once I've finished my current builds, I will officially have more modules than spaces in my rack, which is a bit of a problem.

Now, because I don't really need as much gear as I have and really it's just me being a bit obsessive, I'm trying to find ways to cure myself by deliberately getting a smaller chassis next. Right now I don't record outside my home studio, but I figure I might as well kill two birds with one stone and get a six slot lunch box of some sort, so that I can take it out with me if I ever start gigging again.

Anyway, I'm currently looking at the Fredenstein Bento 6 which is really cheap per slot, and it suddenly occurred to me that I would have to leave all of the 51x modules at home if I went with that.

It's this one: http://www.kmraudio.com/fredenstein-bento-6.php

(obviously I could make it work, but you know, that would involve compromises! ;) )

So here's the point I'm getting at:

There is a space in the groupdiy ecosystem for a six slot 51x series lunchbox with a big old handle. I know that SoundSkulptor has single slot chassis', but lugging six of those around would be a bit too cumbersome for me and anyway that's 500 series only.

Looking around, it seems that michal_k who did that limited run of 8 slot rack mount boxes is probably the smallest multi-module chassis available, but he's been pretty quiet so I suspect it was more trouble than it was worth for him.

Perhaps we can get that "served" guy from vandaal electronics to build one? (BTW, was it only me that took this whole time to realise that the name is play on words? i.e. Vandal Electronics, as in someone who breaks things! Doh!)

I wonder, can anyone be convinced to make something like this for 51x series?! 6 slots with a handle would be awesome...

:)

Kaz

I have a new design 11 slot, 6 slot, 3 slot and 1 slot 500 series racks. Particularly suited for field recording with comprehensive signal routing, splitting and insert points.

PCBs are ready and the metalwork is in production. Hopefully by the end of the month all will be available. I was planning to launch them once the metalwork was done but I might as well post some images as tasters. Below is the rear panel of the prototype (without the legending).

Attachments

• NEW_RACK_2.jpg
    NEW_RACK_2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 174
sahib said:
Inside view.

That's awesome! ;)

Well in that case, I will definitely hold off on the six pack until your stuff is ready...

(Because you said "500 series" I thought you'd gotten the wrong end of the stick for a moment, that was until I counted the number of pins on your connectors in your picture and no, it's the real deal!)

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that 51x smaller racks make sense...

<edit>
Oh, and I should say, the connectivity looks VERY nice.
</edit>
Kaz

Indeed the connectivity is very versatile.

In its basic (kit) form it comes with the XLR inputs and outputs as standard. Then you can upgrade each slot depending on your application.

The switch next to the output XLR (on each slot) is the FEED which routes the output of that channel to the input of the adjacent one. So, essentially you can cascade the entire11 modules.

The other three jacks can be configured through the adjacent switches for active/passive output splitting, input paralleling and insert points. There is an additional balancer card (on the left in the second picture) which facilitates the active operation.

You can obviously link two slots for stereo operation.

This is a great evolution of the 51x environment. I would love it if the backplane/rear panel, as shown in the photo, were available as a retrofit to existing racks.
BTW, Taliska, the Sound Skulptor single module holders are gangable.

That is also thought of.

Complete back plane + rear panel assembly will be available for retrofit.

Only issue is the  Sub D25 connectors. If you do not want them then no modification is required. But if you do then you will need to file notches on the top and bottom flanges. 

The cascading is long overdue ,  I had thought it could be done with 1/4" switching jacks
but it'll be a great way to make channel strips.

I like the power LEDs!

Any pics of the single? Will it have an internal switching supply like the sound skulptor?

Not yet but very soon.

The power supply is external to all racks.

1U version for the full 11 slot is below. It still powers upto two racks. A few members have already been using it with the old rack. I am prototyping the smaller ones.

Attachments

• 1U.jpg
    1U.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 91
Back