500 Series Altec 1588 Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrunskill

Hi All,

I recently discovered the Altec octal preamps, and thought it could be a fun and reasonably easy project to build a 500 series pre which incorporates an original vintage 1588 preamp.

I have bought a 1588b from ebay, as the guts of the project.

A couple of questions for the good people of group DIY:

The 1588b only provides around 35db of gain with an unbalanced output. Is there a simple to build line driver circuit I can build that will convert to balanced and provide another say 15-20 dB of gain?

I'm intending to use this circuit http://sound.westhost.com/project96.htm in between the mic and the octal pre to provide phantom power, can anyone see potential issues with this?

And finally, is there any one who sells a metal bracket for the module and a blank PCB with the 500 series edge connector? I'm a noob and would like to keep it simple.

Ben

Update to this - I've found 500 series edge cards, blank face plates and brackets from classic api, which I'll be ordering.

Does anyone have thoughts on a simple line amp circuit that can add 15 or so db of gain and balance the output?
I'm currently planning on using the JLM Reguritator

Or would it be realistic to use a transformer to increase gain and balance? the only issue there would be finding a tranny that would work, it would have to be something like 600:8k  . . .

I have quite a lot of those modules.

Check the TECHNICAL  DOCUMENTS for a line output stage. Hundreds of circuits to inspire you.

Latest posts

Back