500 VPR Rack (8 Slots) PSU Options

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkymonksf

Hello,

I’m going to building the CAPI 508 Modular 500 series bucket w/ 8 slots.

I need a PSU for this feller and I’m not too keen on the SMPS option that’s offered.

I’d like to build one if possible as I want my connection to and from to be customized. I also read that unless filtered, it is better to go linear than SMPS.

I’m only using +/-16 & 48v so I was considering JLM’s AC/DC option:

https://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/ac/dc-3-rail-power-supply-kit-v5-easy-mount.html?display_tax_prices=1
I can increase the ampage to 1.5 per rail. From VPR specs this is enough and should leave some for “hungrier” units.

Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to see what you all think and see how if you have any other ideas/options. N. America would be nicer on shipping.

Much appreciated!

I have LM338 based dual output board that can supply upto 5A. I also have a separate single output at 1A for +48V. I can happily supply you the BOM to source your own components.

Attachments

• Dual_5A.jpg
    Dual_5A.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 0
Jeff's floor box supplies are/were wonderful. I own 2 of these guys :love:

He seems not to have them in-stock at the moment but he does have
the unstuffed pcbs and power trafos in-stock. BOM is in the floor box
assembly manual

Great DIY way to go !!

https://capi-gear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=176_177
Get the dual vpr trafo and just stuff the pcb with one side or stuff both sides
with the vpr parts. DIY your own case.

Gary

Last edited:
That’s great to know. However, it’d be the same cost, maybe cheaper to build a linear PSU. I know JLM has a nice Kraftwerk PSU for 500/51x (powers up to 2x11 racks).

I only need to power 8 units. The AC/DC has the 3 rails I need, BUT I’m not sure if it:

A. Has enough smoothing (2000uf per rail)

B. Has enough amperage. It can be nodded to provide 1.5amps per rail

I’m using this rack to have 2 channel strips (AML ez1073pres, Sound Skulptor or Hairball 1176 compressors, and discrete EQs ((open to suggestions on both comp ans eqs)) and lastly save the remaining 2 slots for 2 colour modules)

I know VPR specs on amperage says I need a min of 130ma per slot so I’m thinking I’m good even with hungrier units to have 1.5amps, but I’d love affirmation.

It’s the “smoothing” and potentially overheating that I’m likely going to need to address.

Could I just heat sink it (already an option from JLM) and maybe get a couple chassis mounted caps (10,000uf) and connect them in place of the 1000uf caps? If so, is it as easy or that or would I need to adjust resistance in-between?

I know this is a mess of a questionnaire.

All your input is appreciated.

That’s great to know. However, it’d be the same cost, maybe cheaper to build a linear PSU. I know JLM has a nice Kraftwerk PSU for 500/51x (powers up to 2x11 racks).

I only need to power 8 units. The AC/DC has the 3 rails I need, BUT I’m not sure if it:

A. Has enough smoothing (2000uf per rail)

B. Has enough amperage. It can be nodded to provide 1.5amps per rail

I’m using this rack to have 2 channel strips (AML ez1073pres, Sound Skulptor or Hairball 1176 compressors, and discrete EQs ((open to suggestions on both comp ans eqs)) and lastly save the remaining 2 slots for 2 colour modules)

I know VPR specs on amperage says I need a min of 130ma per slot so I’m thinking I’m good even with hungrier units to have 1.5amps, but I’d love affirmation.

It’s the “smoothing” and potentially overheating that I’m likely going to need to address.

Could I just heat sink it (already an option from JLM) and maybe get a couple chassis mounted caps (10,000uf) and connect them in place of the 1000uf caps? If so, is it as easy or that or would I need to adjust resistance in-between?

I know this is a mess of a questionnaire.

All your input is appreciated.
The rule is 130 mils per slot, but actually if you have something that draws more and some that draws less, you'll be fine. it
's slightly over 1 amp total. The FIX and CAPI supplies are 2A.

I was referring to their Floor Box PSU kits, not the SMPS 5 pin (VPR only) PSU. The latter is a good deal, I just prefer linear diy as I'd need to build filtration for the SMPS.

There is a Bo Hansen idea of psu for (I think 1) Api module. Looks very simple. I don't know if it can be of interest for you. API psu.jpg

Latest posts

Back