+5VDC Computer PSU question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomWaterman

Hi!

Can anyone help me? I need a +5VDC supply for testing an evaluation board I got from TI.

I only have an old computer PSU kicking around as a possible 5V source.
I have been told it will only work if the PSU passes its internal checks with reference to the PowerGood pin that normally connects to the motherboard.

Do I link the PowerGood pin to PSU ground to 'pull it' down so I can get power to the other pins, notably one of the +5V pins to connect to the board?

Anyone know how that system works? I don't want to fry my evaluation board before I listen to it....

Cheers Tom

Cheers Jakob!

Problem is - I don't have a multimeter to hand, so I have no way of knowing exactly what comes out....I just figured it should be a pretty constant +5V otherwise it would kill the fragile components on a motherboard.....

I'm pretty sure this PSU needs strapping, so am I correct in thinking I need to strap the PWRGD to ground?

Thanks for your help
Tom

Go to the thrift store and dig around in the inevitable box of wallwarts untill you come up with a 5VDC supply :)

Thats a good idea but it still costs money.....I'm trying to be a skinflint here, typical student!!

Maybe I'll look around town in a bit.....

Cheers Tom

wallwarts tend to collect amazingly fast, at least for me... if you go to the right place, you can often get them for a buck. Much cheaper than a computer PSU, and much easier to deal with.

A computer PSU would make a decent bench supply, if it's the old AT style, the new ATX require all sorts of jiggery pokery to get them to power up. But beware that they're switching-type supplies, so they'll be noisy as hell.

Cheers tmbg,

the power supply will only be used for digital and logic testing etc, I have a proper bench supply for audio rails which I hope is less noisy.

I'm going to look for a wall-wart now, but its a lot harder to find 'thrift' shops here in the UK compared to the states...at least where I live!

Tom

No, don't strap Power-Good to ground.

Most AT-type (two inline 6-pin mobo connectors) power supplies need no strapping, but DO need a load. A big old hard drive is usually ample.

I would not go hay-wire like this without a voltmeter.... the output of computer supplies DOES vary, especially when mis-loaded, and you could smoke that valuable evaluation board.

First of all, you need a tester/multimeter. Should have bought a tester before that evaluation board.

You can rig a simple 5volt regulator using a 7805 and a few resistors and a big heatsink. Then use a 12V or whatever 5V+ wall wart.

Thanks for the tips guys........

I didn't buy the evaluation board, Rochey kindly secured it for me! Thanks again Rochey :thumb:

I really really need to buy a multimeter, gonna get a Fluke soon I think, didn't want to get a cheap one from Craplins as its wasted ££££ better invested into a quality unit.

I actually can't do anything with this board anyway right now, as the software app that is used to control it happens to be Windows95/98 only!!!

I'm running XP and am now on the hunt for a machine I can nick for a while to listen to this danm board!

Thanks for all of your tips, I will hold off until I can scam my sisters 98 machine.....(edit: and buy a meter!)

Cheers Tom

OH BTW its the evaluation board for the PGA2310 volume control chip mentioned in the digital attenuator thread.

Back