636 type reverb PCB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manulaudic

Cannot help you with this, but would certainly like to jump your train if it goes anywhere (buying pcbs off you, etc.)!
This would be one exciting unit for me to build and use, but atm I´m too overstretched to work on another thing...

This is a challenging project with so many different kinds of Germanium transistors which are delicately biased. Extra challenging you don't know the details of the interstage transformer.

Have you used this reverb in a production? It has a unique non spring sound ? Just wondering why the fascination with 4f spring units.

I have a clover stereo reverb. It would be much simpler to build then this unit. It also uses common silicone transistors. I’ll post it if I can find it.

Hi Manulaudic

I started building the circuit on breadboard, but at some point I lacked the parts and shifted focus to some other DIY projects. I'd love to partake as this is one of my dream outboard pieces, granted I have very little electronics knowledge.
Have you used this reverb in a production? It has a unique non spring sound ? Just wondering why the fascination with 4f spring units.

I have a clover stereo reverb. It would be much simpler to build then this unit. It also uses common silicone transistors. I’ll post it if I can find it.

This unit is famous for it's saturation thanks to the germaniums and the primitive light bulb limiter circuit. Very unique. So the spring reverb is not the main ticket!
Soundgas that OP linked to sells a modern clone of the preamp for a ridiculous amounts of dough.
There's also this guy doing a modern interpretation, but it's still a lot of cash: S.V.A. A415 2022 - Neve R.A.F. Blue / Grey Grampian 636 | Reverb
I'd also like to know how much of the circuitry these guys put in this pedal: The Windmiller Preamp - Buy a Grampian Inspired Effect Pedal I Aclam

Back