70's Allen and Heath Console PSU build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie1234567

Hi, I’m looking for a bit of guidance putting together a replacement power supply for an old 70’s Allen and Heath mixer. The original power supply is missing, but was apparently 24v/2.4A. The desk is set up in a slightly strange way, where 24v phantom power goes to all mic inputs by default. I intend to modify this, so that the channels have switchable 48v phantom power (this should be pretty straightforward).

I’m planning on building an external power supply and have found a nice steel rack unit to house it in. Rather than starting from scratch, I’ve bought a Power One linear power supply module for the 24v (rated at 3.6A) and a small (320mA) Meanwell switching power supply for the 48v phantom power (I intend to use an unused pin of the 4 pin XLR power connection to get the 48v to the desk).

This is my first time working with ‘pre built’ power modules. I’m just wondering if/how much additional filtering I’m likely to need after the power modules or are they pretty well filtered already? Also, I'll use a fused IEC inlet on the power supply, should I also add a fuse to the 24v and 48v or is that not necessary?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back