A good day's work

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahib

I have mentioned before that I was helping clearing out my late friend's photography studio. There were three CRT monitors which were old but almost never used. So, before taking them to the dump I had quickly removed the boards which were sitting in my office. So, I spent last Sunday stripping the boards and here are the results.

Firstly some chassis mount BNC connectors and hook-up wires. Winner is the filtered IEC inlet.

1723505119317.jpeg

Then a mixture of self tapping and M3 screws with integral shake proof washers. A pair of relays and some transformers of interest. At a suitable tea break I'll check for frequency response. Then a bunch of rectifiers and inductors (at bottom left). The winners are the square inductor beads (top left).

1723505215102.jpeg

Heat sinks, heatsinks, heatsinks. Winners are the two large rectangular ones.

1723505527874.jpeg

Various power resistors.

1723505592088.jpeg

Some semiconductors. I did not remove everything. I am not even sure if I'll use them for anything but could not resist. However, the lone bridge rectifier on the bottom right will be used at some point.

1723505712631.jpeg

Here is something interesting. I have been thinking about something like this for a very long time but never had the time to prototype it. A clamp that fixes TO220 regulator ICS but at the same time helps dissipate heat from the top. I thought I was being clever but it seems somebody got there before me long time ago.

1723506000258.jpeg

Here are the overall winners. The large film capacitors vary from 1uF downwards and all 250V rated. I have actually checked quite a few of the electrolytics and they are all bang on within tolerance. They feel heavy and healthy. A lot of them are Nichicon.

1723506294544.jpeg

These naturally would and could not be used on the production but perfect for projects for personal use.

A good day's work.

Last edited:
Well, I am still a teenager at 63 Ian.

An old habit. Or I should call it an old discipline.

When I was a teenager in mid '70s I even used to strip down the solder and re-use it as I did not have the luxury of buying a new reel.

Latest posts

Back