A range antics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Pucho,
I have some docs with schematics on the A-Range, send me a pm with your email as I dont know if I still have your current email as I  checked in my email boxn and I sent you an email 2 years ago with a lot of API 525 documents and you never replied

hello
Yes I received your 525 docs and the email is the same. Sorry for not replying.

I stumbled upon this tonight.  In the belly of the beast was this bud industries box, well them or similar box.  Anyway it runs across the stereo bus.  so I tested both sides going into the box and we are good. I tested both sides coming out of the box and one side is ok.  one is not. I traced the wiring back to my worst fear, broken joints on the patch bay jacks.

fix one break another in the process. this is going to be a long night.  :(

After much time on the patchbay I now have a clean left side that sounds amazing so says the inhouse engineer. Right side is still funny but I do have up to the master fader insert return working,  meters still reflect what I hear so at least there is consistency

Well this is interesting but I have my stereo bus working again. It turns out on this particular desk,  The signal flow is as follows :  input to the channel out of the channel into the aux,buss,assignment module.  From the assignment module when I find the stereo bus, it runs into monitor channels nine and 10 for left front right front and  modules 21 and 22 for the left rear right rear .  Those modules then sun to stereo  and show up on modules 23 and 24 of the  Monitor section before leaving the desk.  So in my case I had a faulty monitor module causing one side of the  stereo but do not happen .  There is also after market mods adding input select on modules 23-24  forvthe stereo feed and an aftermarket speaker select that was a home brew on very board.
For now having the stereo buss back is a nice start.

i am not sure why someone would have done that...

except as a "down mix" function when mixing quad.

on an aside,
my thought is that those stupid SQ encoded "quad" LPs in the 70s is what killed quad.

they weren't quad, just stupid.

QUEEF BAG said:
i am not sure why someone would have done that...

except as a "down mix" function when mixing quad.

on an aside,
my thought is that those stupid SQ encoded "quad" LPs in the 70s is what killed quad.

they weren't quad, just stupid.
It was probably a marketing decision to remain backward compatible with stereo.  Niche markets are by definition small.

JR

So now there is a plan in the works. It's a tall order for sure.

1.Recap and repair  the monitor Channels that make the whole console work.
2.go through all the input channels.
Fader replace, repair, recap as needed.
3.finish the monitor Channels.

4. New speaker select with more speaker options then two,  new input selected as well.

5. Rewire the desk😂,  seriously, it would make sense to rewire the desk do it works like a normal a-range if there is such a thing.

Maybe the rewire is more important.  At least make it so signal path is not so cludgy

pucho812 said:
5. Rewire the desk😂,  seriously, it would make sense to rewire the desk do it works like a normal a-range if there is such a thing.

Maybe the rewire is more important.  At least make it so signal path is not so cludgy

The section where you said " The signal flow is as follows :  input to the channel out of the channel into the aux,buss,assignment module" is pretty standard for a 1970s console. Neve, Cadac, Calrec; all the big boys made them that way. From there onwards, quad desks were an exercise in mind boggling.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
The section where you said " The signal flow is as follows :  input to the channel out of the channel into the aux,buss,assignment module" is pretty standard for a 1970s console. Neve, Cadac, Calrec; all the big boys made them that way. From there onwards, quad desks were an exercise in mind boggling.

Cheers

Ian

yes. it's why so many neve's were gutted for 1073's and such.  By rewire, I would like focus on the monitor side, seems the current mod and wiring should be less Kludgy.

if it were me, i would remove the mod all together, still leaving the console quad,
but not having the downmix feature in the console.

who gonna use that function?  this ain't the 70s
and if so there are other ways.

ok  wtf

version 2

C83 moved to back side of circuit board and 22mfd added as shown (ties to the output)
C 81 changed to film (1.5mf instead of the 2.2 tant. that was there, size issues i guess)

Attachments

• A mic pre 2.jpg
    A mic pre 2.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 19
and
C 86 changed from tant to...wet tant (still 22mf)

C 87 (output cap) went from 22mf tant to........wait for it......

2.5nf polystyrene !

Attachments

• A mic pre1.jpg
    A mic pre1.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 21
I am also in need of schematics as the console technical book is missing them,

I have photos of schematics and layouts from the A-Range that used to be here in the midwest ( #13 of 13 custom built by Trident/Cherokee).  Included the channel strip and monitor and some other circuits.
Have a bunch of photos of the channel strips too.

The whole folder is about 600 MBs though so I'd either have to compress the photo a lot or do a file transfer some other way

I have schematics for channel amp 2038, monitor unit 2044, talkback/echo module 2063, 40 input mix amp, tape return, and 2 mix sum amp

Latest posts

Back