A Tube Mic Pre for a Ribbon Mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many times i get better perceived noise with a good tube preamp using a 150:50k input transformer than I do with a modern SS transformerless preamp.  On paper the SS has better noise performance, but the hiss can be more obvious.  The 'free' transformer gain can be of benefit in the tube unit.  An RCA BA-2 (50dB max) can be fine for most things.  If it's not quiet enough, the SS might not be either.  Either one will benefit from outboard PSU if high gain use is common. 

What I hate is that you build your preamp,  from any of the well described options here ...  including extra measures to give really low noise  ...  like heroically proportioned ground lines,  magnetic and electrostatic shielding,  very good psu regulation, nice wiring seperation between sensitive sections and so on..

BUT one gets noise in the supply lines - can be for all manner of reasons, resulting in 'whirrs' and 'clicks' coming thru at 50dB  and more applied gain.

My place is not too bad, but at high gain, recording stuff like acoustic guitar with sensitive mics there's always something furry at the noise floor  :mad:  Independent of what preamp/power amps  I use, more or less.

Power supply noise rejection is one's bestest friend, I think.

On my 'todo list' is to make some of the cleanest solid state mic pre's I can and then power them up from a battery pack.

My next bench audio interface is going to have a 'wall wart' psu so I can also try it with battery powering.

These little 12V battery packs that are quite cheap these days really pack a wallop - a pair of them can provide the power for quite a bit of stuff  8)

Just to see if it makes a difference!

Back