A Winter Restoration Project For Someone Out There

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's had a $100K restoration?
I took a look at this thing years ago when it was in the hands of a previous owner.
The painted knobs were in better shape then, and I still can't get past the formica wood effect surround.

I suppose it's "Rat Pack Live in Vegas" authentic though.

Well, according to the seller, it has indeed.

Exhibit A - excerpt from ad:

"Approximately $100K in no-expense-spared maintenance later, it was only 90% finished. I acquired it, fully restored it to 100% original..."

That includes installing a new kitchen counter top from Home Depot.

Curious who was recorded through it.

Maybe these guys?

Attachments

• The Dave Bunker Show.png
    The Dave Bunker Show.png
    684.2 KB
The desk from Shabby Road, used for the early stuff like 'Blue Suede Schubert', 'Hold My Hand' etc. just sold for $1.9 Million.
(I'm talking about the one that Kenny Krabbits used to own)

What d'ya think the one used from 'Ouch' up through 'Cheese and Onions' would be worth?

I concur. What could they have possibly done to it that would total that kind of price tag
A bunch of techs making $75/hr adds up in a hurry.

I am actually really curious what a proper shop like Vintage King charges for a vintage desk resto. Because I have access to a Sphere that could use their help. It would take me a decade to do it.

I'd love to build a control room around it.

A bunch of techs making $75/hr adds up in a hurry.

I am actually really curious what a proper shop like Vintage King charges for a vintage desk resto.

I guess it depends more on the possible market value of the console, which is related to rarity and hype, than the tech hour rate or even the amount of work involved.
For example most large format consoles in the world don't have much value.

But that is not the case of a rare console like Helios or EMI.
Or a good and hyped console like the Neve 80xx series, or the models after.
Or an SSL 4K.

But for example I know that a local SSL 4K E-series was sold for 50K euros, it was a 48 channels console.
It needed a complete recap job, new bulbs or replacement with LEDs, new routing switches, and the computer needed to be fixed. This is a lot of work, much more work involved than the restoration of a small tube console, probably 4x times the work.
That doesn't mean you can charge 100K for this work, as it will not be cost efficient for the owner as the value of the console is less than that.

But, bring in an item that is rare and might be sold for a lot of money and then the restoration price will be high also.

Back