Accidental GroupDIY membership purchase

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
I noticed a GroupDIY supporter banner on my avatar recently.

Then when I click on it, it says I purchased a 29.95 a year donation.

I wondered if the site was getting sneaky by making it possible to pay with just a misplaced finger on the phone like the newspaper subscription I had to undo a whole back?

But when I went to PayPal acct there was no charge.

Anybody else have this happen?
Not that supporting the site would be bad , but nice to have a say in the matter ,

Thanks!

cj

I have a similar blue badge under my avatar but haven't given the forum any money "lately".

Back years ago I made a few modest contributions to support Ethan when he was raising funds to keep the hamsters fed.
======
Maybe they just like you?

JR

Pilgrims gave thanks to the Indians by wiping them all out with smallpox.
Evidence is strong that a lot of the wiping out in New England via smallpox actually predates the 1620 landing. Nonetheless...

Smallpox has been found as far back as 3-4,000 years ago... It was far more lethal to native americans than european settlers. One might speculate that europeans had stronger immune systems from previous exposure to more varied diseases.

Indeed the pilgrims were not the first visitors to N. America.

JR

PS: Not sure what this has to do with being a GDIY supporter...

Some people in Chili have asian genes, from long before the Vikings arrived. Strangely, those people are in the mountains, not on the coast...

Some people in Chili have asian genes, from long before the Vikings arrived. Strangely, those people are in the mountains, not on the coast...
Chile. There's been ongoing debate about the possibility that seafaring Polynesians may have settled parts of the western N and S American continents, possibly before the Bering Sea land bridge migration ~14ky ago. Native American genetics link them to Siberian people.

Vikings didn't settle any further south than maybe northern New England from what I've read.

Chile. There's been ongoing debate about the possibility that seafaring Polynesians may have settled parts of the western N and S American continents, possibly before the Bering Sea land bridge migration ~14ky ago. Native American genetics link them to Siberian people.

Vikings didn't settle any further south than maybe northern New England from what I've read.
I vaguely recall reading a book "Kon tiki" by Thor Heyerdahl about a 4,000 mile + raft trip across the Pacific from S America to Polynesian Islands.

Not sure that his extraordinary adventure in the late 40s proved anything about migration but interesting nonetheless.

JR

Tim Severins 'The Brendan Voyage' set out to recreate St Brendans Voyage to North America ,
It proved the craftsmanship ,tools and materials to make the journey was possible ,
The coracle which is very similar in construction to Tim's boat goes back several thousand years and was used extensively in Ireland ,England, Scotland and Wales . The Currach is the natural evolution of the idea , a tradition still very much alive on the west coast of Ireland

The Brendan Voyage (1976–1977)​

It is theorized by some scholars that the Latin texts of Navigatio Sancti Brendani Abbatis (The Voyage of St Brendan the Abbot) dating back to at least 800 AD tell the story of Brendan's (c. 489–583) seven-year voyage across the Atlantic Ocean to a new land and his return. Convinced that the legend was based on historical truth, in 1976 Severin built a replica of Brendan's currach. Handcrafted using traditional tools, the 36-foot (11 m), two-masted boat was built of Irish ash and oak, hand-lashed together with nearly two miles (3 km) of leather thong, wrapped with 49 traditionally tanned ox hides, and sealed with wool grease.

On May 17, 1976, Severin and his crew (George Maloney, Arthur Magan, Tróndur Patursson) sailed from Tralee in Ireland's County Kerry[8] on the Brendan, and, over more than 13 months, travelled 4,500 miles (7,200 km), arriving at Canada on June 26, 1977, landing on Peckford Island, Newfoundland, before being towed to Musgrave Harbour by the Canadian Coast Guard. Severin told reporters, "We've proved that a leather boat can cross the North Atlantic by a route that few modern yachtsmen would attempt.".[9] Along the way, they had stopped at the Hebrides, the Faroe Islands and Iceland (where they spent the winter until departing again on May 11) en route. He considered that his recreation of the voyage helped to identify the basis for many of the legendary elements of the story: the "Island of Sheep", the "Paradise of Birds", "Crystal Towers", "mountains that hurled rocks at voyagers", and the "Promised Land". Severin's account of the expedition, The Brendan Voyage, became an international best-seller, translated into 16 languages.

The boat is now featured at the Craggaunowen open-air museum in County Clare, Ireland.

Back