[ACM investiupgradifications] All things MICROPHONE

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've forgotten about what was actually different w.r.t. the actual motors
between the ACM-2 (lollipop) & the ACM-3 (Ryr/B+O-style).

Anyone remembers ?

Thanks,

Peter

I was under the impression that this company essentially makes three motors: The short 45mm one (ACM-2 & ACM-3) and the longer 55mm AEA R84 style one (ACM-70) and the dual ribbon (ACM-4).

Michael Joly explains here:

http://recordinghacks.com/2008/11/01/chinese-ribbon-microphone-designs/

So I've assumed that the motors and ribbons were the same between the ACM-2 and the ACM-3, just different housings.

Got a question about ribbon-sag of the ACM-mics...

Lovely woodenish 'landscape' ribbon-mic storage boxes, but in case of the ACM-3 ribbon-mic for instance,
is it enough to position the mic so that the magnets are above each other ?
So the mic remains positioned flat (like a pencil on a table), but the ribbon is now stored vertically, like a fence.

Or would this just introduce sag into another equally undesirable direction ? (say touching the magnets)

Storing those wooden boxes vertically ('portrait') is obviously the best and a simple label would help
(and that would also work for the ACM-2 that can not be rotated in its box), but is less convenient.

No idea how sensitive ribbons are w.r.t. sag in the various directions.

Thanks,

Peter

caution-arrow-JPG.jpg

)

okgb said:
how did you retension it ?

the electronics appear to be surface mount covered in goop [ just a few parts ,transistor i guess ]
should be able to jumper across two wires going into the glob and two wires
comin out of the glob , whether the out transformer is good for this is another ?
but maybe that's part of the problem and they just used the usual one they had
and it's not a match for the electronics ? [ with any luck ]

there's another good one , oh can't give you what you ordered but we'll sub this crap we can't
get rid of instead

Retensioning is pretty easy, but you have to be careful. Here's a good read:
http://www.hometracked.com/2007/08/28/ribbon-mic-sag-and-repair/

A good trick is to use a q-tip to move the ribbon. Also, a drop of alchohol under the ribbon acts like a temporary glue (that totally dissipates) to make screwing the block back on easier.

I'll try bypassing the goop, thanks!

Andrew

Hi,

Anyone aware of a schematic of the ACM-583 (FET) and ACM-1200 somewhere?

The few seconds I looked inside the ACM-583 it looked like the 'common' Schoeps-style circuit,
as say in the MCA SP-1 etc, but I don't recall a schematic that's extended to having also omni
& fig-8 & the pad- & HPF-switches.

Same for the ACM-1200:
The circuit of the Apex 460 & its supply is around, but that one is not the same,
also other switches etc.

Of course the 'principles' are out there & known, but for convenience a dedicated/complete drawing for these mics
would be nice, so if it's already out there then no own tracing needed.

Thanks,

Peter

I received most of my parcels last Thursday (ACMP-73 still dealing with Customs) and i had a friend of mine come to the studio with his Royer R-121 just to hear the differences with the ACM-3 mic.
We did a really quick session recording acoustic guitar, electric guitar & spoken voice.

The files (24bit/44.1kHz) are located here: http://rapidshare.com/files/215856168/TNC_ACM-3_vs_Royer_R121.zip.

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2232.jpg

Thanks Rimshot for posting these, nice.
On the simple speakers I listened these on first impression was that while there are differences these are not enormous, but must listen elsewhere as well.

Apart from that there's a polarity inversion, or was one of the mics rotated w.r.t. other ?
Could also be a (random) polarity swap fro the ACM-3, if you happen to have another it might be gone.
Either way, it;s easily fixed.

I now recall the different timbres of the Royer because of the offset ribbon, don't know if the ACM-3 copies that.
I'll keep it in mind when testdriving mine.

Bye,

Peter

Hi All,

first post here. Small observation...

I have just got my second ACM-3, a 1200 and 6 preamps from this group buy.
I bought an ACM-3 from the previous buy and when comparing the two ribbons together, noticed they are polarity inverted with one another.

Anyone else notoce this?

excellent forum btw!

Barks,

Barkley McKay

Hi Barkley,

Welcome here, enjoy!

W.r.t. the polarity inversion, then it might be a safe bet that the latest batch of ACM-3 are all swapped,
see also my observation above (the ACM-3 being pol.inverted w.r.t. the Royer, at least in the resulting files that Rimshot posted).

Bye,

Peter

Barks67 said:
Hi All,

first post here. Small observation...

I have just got my second ACM-3, a 1200 and 6 preamps from this group buy.
I bought an ACM-3 from the previous buy and when comparing the two ribbons together, noticed they are polarity inverted with one another.

Anyone else notoce this?

excellent forum btw!

Barks,

Barkley McKay

Barks67 said:

Yeah. Seems you have a 50/50 shot at polarity with these mics, particularly in the last group buy.

RIMSHOT said:
I received most of my parcels last Thursday (ACMP-73 still dealing with Customs) and i had a friend of mine come to the studio with his Royer R-121 just to hear the differences with the ACM-3 mic.
We did a really quick session recording acoustic guitar, electric guitar & spoken voice.

The files (24bit/44.1kHz) are located here: http://rapidshare.com/files/215856168/TNC_ACM-3_vs_Royer_R121.zip.

Those samples actually sound surprisingly similar. I remember hearing a comparison of a few different Chinese models compared to a 4038 on drums though, and the 4038 sounded immensely better. Much bigger, and less muddy.

Does anyone happen to know if the ACM-3 (so also the ACM-2) also does the offset ribbon of the
'original' ? (Patent Number: 6434252)

No idea how big the difference in sound actually is between front & rear. Rimshot, you had access to a 121, can you tell ?

Thanks,

Peter

Well, i didn´t had the time to do that check on the offset ribbon really, i just rotated each mic and recorded a second take with the acoustic guitar. The distance between mics & guitar was of 60(+) cm.
The R-121 owner has to come to the studio again in the next weeks so i´ll try to do another session (a better one, hopefully).

okgb said:
the electronics appear to be surface mount covered in goop [ just a few parts ,transistor i guess ]
should be able to jumper across two wires going into the glob and two wires
comin out of the glob , whether the out transformer is good for this is another ?

FWIW, I bypassed the electronics and the hiss is gone. The mic sounds pretty good, if a bit dark. It still has all the extra screens on it, so I suppose that's to be expected.

Cheers!

Andrew

acm200jumperedsm.jpg

RIMSHOT said:
Well, i didn´t had the time to do that check on the offset ribbon really,

Hi,

I've been toying around with the ACM-mics as well, but so many things to try, haven't made it to trying both sides either.

Let's all keep sharing if we have a minute, good to hear about various experiences.

Like: here two out of my two ACM-583 FET mics look to be swapped w.r.t. their polarity as well (just like the ACM-3).
No big problem, just a bit strange it pops up so often. Maybe their reference was a clone ?  ;)

Bye,

Peter

the phantom powered ribbon  [not working ] makes you wondrer if they even
checked the design ?
Don't conventional models have the a different xfmr from the ribbon and then
drive the electronics ? or two xfmrs ? then how does the 48v make it past the xfmr ?

okgb said:
then how does the 48v make it past the xfmr ?

Hi Greg,

(ignoring the mic-design & assembly-questions & -wondering for now  ;) )

Have a look at for instance some Shure schematics: the mic-TX-secondary has a center tap
from which the supply is derived. That supply feeds the unbalanced active circuitry the drives the mic-TX-primary.

All the best,

Peter

okgb said:
the phantom powered ribbon  [not working ] makes you wondrer if they even
checked the design ?
Don't conventional models have the a different xfmr from the ribbon and then
drive the electronics ? or two xfmrs ? then how does the 48v make it past the xfmr ?
I'm igorant of phantom powered ribbon mics, but it seems you'd just need an appropriate transformer to match the ribbon impedance to a more-or-less conventional phantom powered mic headamp input.

Back