ACOUSTIC 260 Bass Amp is noisy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saint gillis

Hi,
I'm repairing an Acoustic 260 Bass amp.
The power transformer has been changed for 230V operation, the supposed 70VDC are only 63VDC, which I suppose is not a big issue.

The power amp part is quite noisy (kind of filtered white noise), and the preamps also bring a very audible white noise.
Does this sound normal to you or not? If not what could I check?
(the amp has been recapped, and the output power transistors have been changed, and the calibration procedure has been done)

Here's the schematic

Attachments

• Acoustic_260_Schematic big.jpg
    Acoustic_260_Schematic big.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
I'd follow the signal starting at the input, either with an oscilloscope, or an audio probe.

Not entirely impossible that some of the small transistors might've grown leaky / noisy over the years.

The power Amp noise level is not awesome, but really more than acceptable
Now I've managed to bring the 1st channel preamp to an acceptable snr, I didn't change transistors but carbon comp resistors and these capacitors (tantalum I think, correct me if I'm wrong) :

1673450278692.jpeg

Now let's work on channel 2..

This was a tough repair. Some transistors to replace, some resistors and of course the polarized capacitors, but it ok now

There's one last thing, when I switch the amp on and off several times (the amp being loaded), the fuse blows after 2-3 or 4 times, is this normal or related to the design?

Sometimes when the cab gets unplugged / plugged back, the main fuse blows.. I don't understand, maybe it's related to the output capacitor before the speaker?

Last edited:
I repaired my Acoustic 140 awhile back and those little axial black caps through me off too - they are in fact polarized and you want to replace all of them. Not sure if they are electrolytic or tantalum, but I put in electrolytic.
Blowing fuses is not normal. Replace any remaining polarized caps.
The 140 has a little inductor in the tone area that picks up a little hum. You can't get rid of it all.

I repaired my Acoustic 140 awhile back and those little axial black caps through me off too - they are in fact polarized and you want to replace all of them. Not sure if they are electrolytic or tantalum, but I put in electrolytic.
Blowing fuses is not normal. Replace any remaining polarized caps.
The 140 has a little inductor in the tone area that picks up a little hum. You can't get rid of it all.
It happens only with the amp loaded...

I suggest replace all the polarized caps, including C64 1000 uF
The fuse blowing is protecting other parts. If a cap has failed to a short, it will pull too much current.

Back