Acoustics and the world around you

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

:eek: by far one of the more cooler audio things I have heard.  If I had gear would sample it.  This is part of George bush airport in Houston. In different areas they have these domes which are different then the rest of the ceilings in the terminals.  They were put in, in conjunction with nasa. And give a complete different sound then the rest of the airport Here is an example
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2RYcsydzqhY

You don't need a ton of gear to do so, a speaker loud enough, an omni mic and you are good to go.

Where I live there is this place where you get a many second delay, high ceiling, no walls, open field all around, very strange sounding, you make one step out and no delay at all, you make one step in and it will be still echoing the next time you visit the place. I've thought a couple of times to sample it, but I have to get there with a computer, converter, mic preamps, mic, speakers, wire, set all up, and ten seconds later I'm good to go... Sounds like it doesn't worth it, I probably will never use the samples anyway...

JS

That'd be a cool impulse response to have.... Very neat flutter to it... it'd be great for a reggae/dub style snare  8)

I had the opportunity to measure this.....

800px-Basel_CIMG0054.jpg

this was a market hall in the past - now some weird mall - but of course you can't really do anything in this space without being annoyed be the sound. 60m dome made of 8cm thick concrete, from 1929. 10+ seconds reverberation time in the mid with echos and focus points all over the place. funny acoustical phenomenon, indeed. imagine some loud guy advertising his veggies in there.....

more info on the place here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markthalle_Basel

cheers,

Michael

audiomixer said:
... imagine some loud guy advertising his veggies in there.....

You won't here standing 2m from him but loud and clear 50m at the other side... Very useful I guess!

JS

joaquins said:
You don't need a ton of gear to do so, a speaker loud enough, an omni mic and you are good to go.

Where I live there is this place where you get a many second delay, high ceiling, no walls, open field all around, very strange sounding, you make one step out and no delay at all, you make one step in and it will be still echoing the next time you visit the place. I've thought a couple of times to sample it, but I have to get there with a computer, converter, mic preamps, mic, speakers, wire, set all up, and ten seconds later I'm good to go... Sounds like it doesn't worth it, I probably will never use the samples anyway...

JS

that is true. But when you have no gear, can't do it...

We went out to the Biosphere 2 facility (in Oracle, AZ, north of Tucson) last Friday, and we did the tour. (Holiday weekend, so the tour was self-guiding, which is ideal when you have a six-year-old who wants to go at his own pace).

The Biosphere 2 was originally designed to be a fully closed system. If you've seen photos of it, you'll notice that the main structure looks like a giant greenhouse. It was realized that in such a closed system, as sunlight heated the greenhouse during the day, the air inside would expand, with potentially enough pressure to break the glass panels.

To handle this, two "lungs" were built. Tunnels from the main structure went underground to two large (maybe 200' in diameter), round chambers.  These chambers have a concrete floor and concrete walls. The ceiling is a synthetic rubber structure, with a 16 ton aluminum disc weight in the middle. As the air pressure inside the main structure increases, air is forced into the "lungs" and the ceiling rises. In the evening, when the air pressure is reduced, the weight of the aluminum disc forces air back into the main room. (I took a couple of pictures but my kid is in them, so I won't post them.)

The reason I mention this is because that chamber sounds REALLY amazing. When the docent was speaking, you could hear her voice circling around the room. I used my iPhone to take an impulse response (clap your hands, say yeah), and once I figure out how to get that recording off the phone I'll post it.

(Everyone should read the history of the facility and the people who started it. It's fascinating. And very, very weird.)

-a

Andy Peters said:
We went out to the Biosphere 2 facility (in Oracle, AZ, north of Tucson) last Friday, and we did the tour. (Holiday weekend, so the tour was self-guiding, which is ideal when you have a six-year-old who wants to go at his own pace).

The Biosphere 2 was originally designed to be a fully closed system. If you've seen photos of it, you'll notice that the main structure looks like a giant greenhouse. It was realized that in such a closed system, as sunlight heated the greenhouse during the day, the air inside would expand, with potentially enough pressure to break the glass panels.

To handle this, two "lungs" were built. Tunnels from the main structure went underground to two large (maybe 200' in diameter), round chambers.  These chambers have a concrete floor and concrete walls. The ceiling is a synthetic rubber structure, with a 16 ton aluminum disc weight in the middle. As the air pressure inside the main structure increases, air is forced into the "lungs" and the ceiling rises. In the evening, when the air pressure is reduced, the weight of the aluminum disc forces air back into the main room. (I took a couple of pictures but my kid is in them, so I won't post them.)

The reason I mention this is because that chamber sounds REALLY amazing. When the docent was speaking, you could hear her voice circling around the room. I used my iPhone to take an impulse response (clap your hands, say yeah), and once I figure out how to get that recording off the phone I'll post it.

(Everyone should read the history of the facility and the people who started it. It's fascinating. And very, very weird.)

-a
IIRC  Dr.Roy Walford a life-extension researcher/proponent was one of the original participants in that grand experiment (probably biosphere 1). It was supposed to be a closed system but IIRC the first experiment failed after several months when it was corrupted by some internal air pollution problem (?? I don't recall the details). The plan was for them to grow all the food they needed inside and Walford was an advocate of caloric restriction to slow down aging (A theory with lots of supporting experimental data from other shorter lifespan lower mammals.) Walford is RIP now so didn't really work for him.

The biosphere was a significant engineering achievement, with different people interested for different reasons.

JR

Back