Acoustics paint?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An acoustic paint to be applied to the walls of a room in which a source of audible sound is located to improve the acoustic characteristics of the room and correspondingly improve the clarity (e.g., the warmth, richness and detail) of the sound that is generated by the source and detected by the ear of a listener located within the room. The acoustic paint includes a paint foundation into which is mixed a powdered piezoelectric material or a powdered non-piezoelectric crystalline material having a resonant frequency so that the powdered material will react to the sound generated within the room and thereby control the room acoustics depending upon the type of material and the resonant frequency thereof. An optional catalyst, such as an electrically conductive powdered graphite or powdered graphene, is mixed into the paint foundation. The mixture is stirred and then applied to the walls of the room by means of a brush, a roller, or the like.

Easy, peasy....

JR

I measured a venue that was acoustically treated with spray-on cork. Seems to work well, much to my amazement. The layer is just 5 to 6 mm (1/4").

Not really paint, of course, but similar. First time I've seen that. Wonder why it's not used more?

Back