Adding a bypass footswitch to a tube preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portersage

Hey all!
Im trying to figure out the best way to add a bypass footswitch to an old tube Phono preamp I have that I dig as a an OD/distortion. It needs to have power at all times due to the tube warm up, but I'd like to be able to route my signal through it as well as be able to bypass it from a footswitch. I'm not sure the best way to achieve this though. Has anyone ever done anything like this or have any insight on the best way to do it?
Thanks!

It could be as simple as emulating a true bypass switch like in a stompbox. The "PCB In" would go to a jack that you'd connect to the output of your preamp, the "PCB Out" connection would go to a jack that you'd plug the output of your preamp into. In & Out would be wired as in a stomp box.
This assumes all unbalanced connections though. Exactly what you're coming out of & going into isn't clear from your post.

Gotcha, Yeah sorry about the vagueness haha. the preamp unit is an old 6SC7 GE UPX unit that I’ve tweaked a couple values in. I’m planning on using it as both a high gain mic pre and also *hopefully* a guitar effect, so nothing too fancy, just 1/4” ins and outs with a footswitch jack to cut it in to the chain when using it for distortion. I’m probably over complicating it, but I suppose the part I’m most confused on is connecting everything to a jack that I can then connect to the switch. There may be a far easier way to go about it, it’s just what seemed to make sense to me.

Latest posts

Back