Adverts everywhere ,

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

I happened to look at the Gdiy site without my usual blockers in the browser engaged and without logging in ,
Adverts appear between every section /thread in the list and they keep coming , makes the site a pain to look at as well as slowing everything down .
What was around a page a half with the blocker on becomes several pages of scrolling through mainly click-bait , I also noticed a new message box achknowledging the website may earn a small commission from click sales ,

The situation while logged in is somewhat better , but still has a few annoyances that improve the websites look when removed ,

Hey, can the guys running this site make a buck too? After all, a free service like a forum does eat some server resources, like storage. If they go broke, it's the end of this forum.

I think his point was hey, can we have what resembles an audio forum too?

Yeah. Sure.

But I bet most of us don't even notice, because we're all savvy enough to run an adblocker. How many others like us are there? That's a genuine question. I've been looking but haven't seen any reliable numbers.

And these days, my feeling is that if ads scare you away, maybe you're just not fit for this forum? Maybe it could get more people to register?

I see much worse examples on the sites of newspapers. They are effectively scaring potential users away with paywalls, stupid transparent overlays that keep you from clicking on a link, or autoplaying videos when the cursor just hovers over them.

The only users that are really f*cked, are those on a device managed by others that doesn't allow them to install anything. Like corporate or school computers.

But I bet most of us don't even notice, because we're all savvy enough to run an adblocker.
For sure...
I think he was just pointing out that, if you haven't and aren't a member who is logged in, it's pretty crazy. I know when I got a new phone and was browsing here when taking a break it was useless. Didn't feel like logging in .. Now my phone stays logged in here all the time ...not sure what benefits that creates for whoever..
These ad blockers must have their own revenue stream?
I don't think I have ad blockers on the phone unless it's automatic.. site works fine on phone as long as I'm logged in? Would have to look again...

I hope nobody is shocked that internet forums are businesses. 🤔 If the forum is free, you are the product being sold. ;)
===
I am signing up around ten new members every day, and gonging one or two spammers every day.

JR

I do not turn the adverts off and I try to donate a sum after each BM sale I do. I do not expect everybody to do that, but I think the people who keep the forum alive would need to survive too.

I see that no one posting here so far, except JR, are supporting members.
While I do support this forum with free labor, and I actually slid Ethan some real money during his past fund raisers to keep the lights on, I am not a recent financial contributor.

I notice that you are labelled a GDIY supporter too. No doubt for your white market payments.

JR

While I do support this forum with free labor, and I actually slid Ethan some real money during his past fund raisers to keep the lights on, I am not a recent financial contributor.

I notice that you are labelled a GDIY supporter too. No doubt for your white market payments.

JR
No, there are two accounts. Together they total $260/year in support.

Latest posts

Back