AES NY 2024

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushy

I'll be at AES on Tuesday and possibly Wednesday. If anyone wants to meet up, feel free to shoot a message.

For the adventurous, Head out to Coney Island and visit Totono's pizza.
I have never had a better slice in my life and NYDave would swear by it. IF anyone would know, it would be him.
I grew up in Northern NJ a few miles from NYC and NY style pizza is good (IMO). You probably don't have to travel very far to find a good slice anywhere in the area (even in NJ) 🤔. Bagels in NYC are above average also.

JR

I grew up in Northern NJ a few miles from NYC and NY style pizza is good (IMO). You probably don't have to travel very far to find a good slice anywhere in the area (even in NJ) 🤔. Bagels in NYC are above average also.

JR
With all due respect I have had some bad slices and good slices out that way but Totono’s was beyond the best I ever had.

Nope, not really. It's even smaller than the last coupla years, and nothing really stood out to me as new or very interesting over all. It took about 15 mins to walk the whole show floor, so there's that.

The biggest news I heard was that next year the show will not be in NYC, but very out-of-the- way Long Beach, CA. Seems like a bad choice to me but we'll see..

Nope, not really. It's even smaller than the last coupla years, and nothing really stood out to me as new or very interesting over all. It took about 15 mins to walk the whole show floor, so there's that.

The biggest news I heard was that next year the show will not be in NYC, but very out-of-the- way Long Beach, CA. Seems like a bad choice to me but we'll see..
What? Out in the LBC? That’s rich.

The convention needs a major overhaul. I think it has lost its way. AES must be feeling the pinch. No daily convention newsletter like every one I can remember. And little things like no sponsored plastic covering for badges.

It needs to be scaled back. It's not the go go '90's anymore. Many the big players aren't buying booths and it's too expensive for small guys. The esoteric academic papers have taken over with very few practical workshops.

I think it should be done like the hi-fi shows. A hotel with a convention center for the technical presentations and vendors rent rooms. Attendee's go from room to room to see vendors wares. Attendee's can also stay in the same hotel.

The convention needs a major overhaul. I think it has lost its way. AES must be feeling the pinch. No daily convention newsletter like every one I can remember. And little things like no sponsored plastic covering for badges.

It needs to be scaled back. It's not the go go '90's anymore. Many the big players aren't buying booths and it's too expensive for small guys. The esoteric academic papers have taken over with very few practical workshops.

I think it should be done like the hi-fi shows. A hotel with a convention center for the technical presentations and vendors rent rooms. Attendee's go from room to room to see vendors wares. Attendee's can also stay in the same hotel.
The AES is an engineering society so meetings were stuffy affairs for presentations of scholastic papers and discussions. Small businesses could not afford to travel across the country so the NYC show tended to support small east coast companies, the LA show small west cost companies. They alternated between east coast and west coast venues every other year to support as many around the country as possible (I was an east coast guy).

Some might say that the AES out grew its mandate a few decades ago with huge trade shows full of manufacturers demo booths. Instead of the small demo rooms inside the Hilton Hotel, they placed trade show size booths inside the Javit's center. Big consoles in booths were generally already sold to some local studio and just briefly used at the show for demos in the booth.

I won't pontificate about what AES should be. The shows/meetings used to be great for reconnecting with old industry friends, but modern economics may not support that many trade shows every year. Or not....

JR

It used to be like that. I remember setting up shop at the Waldorf in NYC when I worked for Audiotechniques back in the early 80's

A local la guy had a presentation. Only problem is the guy isn’t a music guy or really an audio guy. He is a sales mook selling memorabilia at ridiculous prices. But I guess when you become the go to for all the former engineers to get their stuff sold, that’s all you need.

Latest posts

Back