North American Eclipse

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusan

Like all the local folk here in the state of Arkansas, I've been musing about the 600 pound gorilla in the room these days: the eclipse, which is now 3 days away. Local officials are expecting our town of 30,000 to be inundated with around 150,000 eclipse tourists.

NASA is setting up here, plus The Weather Channel and some other big names. A news article last October said at that time only two hotels had unreserved rooms for April 8; one was charging $500 and the other $700. In Arkansas, it's only illegal to price gouge during a state of emergency, which this isn't. Not yet, anyway... The director of the county department of emergency management is my neighbor, and he's totally freaked out, despite more than a year of careful, intensive preparation.

Local authorities expect poor service or even outages of the cellular system due to overloading, ditto for internet service. We were told to procure adequate groceries, toiletries, medications, etc and fuel up our cars before Friday when the visitors start piling in, because supplies will become depleted and replenishment freight will not be happening because it's the weekend, plus the traffic congestion. My wife went to the grocery store after work, and stock was already running very low. It's Friday and the last trucks run today, so by tonight it'll be bare shelves until sometime Tuesday at the earliest.

All weekend through to eclipse time, they're having live bands, vendors and concessions in the downtown business district by the train depot (THE major local gathering spot), which is packed with people on a normal weekend. My workplace will be be closed Monday, as will all schools and many other businesses. It's about 7 blocks from the depot, and our manager told us to watch for debris in the parking lot when we return to work Tuesday morning. My wife's workplace is about 15 blocks away, and they've already pre-sold all their >50 parking spaces at $30 each.

Warnings have been issued to those attending large public gatherings that there will be pickpockets, scammers, thieves with RF devices to steal debit/credit card numbers, as well as all other sorts of criminals, such as burglars hitting residences just outside the path of totality while the occupants are gone for an hour or two. Local officials have repeatedly admonished us to be watchful for card skimmers on all card-pay devices. One was found on a gas pump near here just a few days ago.

The Arkansas Department Of Transportation published a map of forecasted traffic congestion of major thoroughfares in 4 levels, which are:

"Extreme – The highest congestion levels on the system. These are bottleneck points that will ultimately determine the capacity of the system.

Very High – Volumes will be well above capacity (possibly several times the hourly capacity), a condition that will likely continue for several hours after the Eclipse. Incidents here could quickly make conditions even worse.

High – Volume will likely be above capacity for several hours, with significant delays occurring. If all goes well, traffic will probably clear within a few hours; however, incidents could quickly result in more severe problems.

Significant – Volumes will approach or modestly exceed capacity, with some delays. Any incidents could quickly worsen conditions on these roadways.

Many of these routes are in locations where residents or local agencies are not accustomed to heavy traffic. Because ARDOT resources will largely be deployed on other routes, assistance from local agencies may be requested to ensure these routes continue to function as well as possible given the circumstances."

Interstate 40 runs through here; it and the main north-south venue through the city are expected to be gridlocked. Certain streets and sections of roadways in the area will be blocked off to ensure clear passage for emergency vehicles, worsening the congestion elsewhere. Local officials have informed residents that they anticipate increased traffic inflow today, a sharp increase by noon Saturday, and top-level craziness Sunday afternoon. And, it's not just roads! Small craft traffic on the Arkansas River is forecast to be extremely high, and the State of Arkansas and U.S. Coast Guard have issued bulletins.

The city has announced its part-time police officers will be working full time, the county sheriff has called up all his reserve deputies, and Governor Sarah Huckabee-Sanders has activated several National Guard units. All county and state road maintenance and construction has been postponed, because of potential impact on traffic congestion. All individuals, agencies and businesses in unincorporated areas of the county allowing 15 or more vehicles to park on their property were required to register with the county emergency management office by the 15th of last month. This was done to ensure that if first responders are needed, they'll already be aware where the large groups are located.

All this is before the eclipse. It's 5 minutes after when the REAL chaos will begin, when everybody leaves at the same time. The downtown district and all the local parks have events and activities scheduled into the evening to encourage everyone to hang around, in order to mitigate the post-eclipse traffic gridlock. Arkansas DOT has cautioned against residents engaging in non-essential travel until late Monday evening, and it doesn't expect traffic to fully return to normal until Wednesday.

We're all really nervous about the population of our town suddenly increasing by 500%, but on the flip side I'm incredibly thankful to be able to witness this once-in-a-lifetime event on my own back porch! I was wondering if anyone here has travel plans to view the totality, or is anticipating similar circumstances in your local area within the path of totality.

Last edited:
The good news is that the eclipse tourists will go home again after it's over. 🤔

I have already warned any first timers do not look directly at the sun with your naked eyes. Back in the old days we would fashion DIY eclipse sun glasses out of several layers of old film negatives. But this is not guaranteed to be adequate.

The safer strategy that I used at least once decades ago was to make a crude pinhole camera lens. First punch a small hole in an opaque piece of cardboard, then with second sheet of plain paper look at the image coming through the pin hole aperture. The image on the second sheet of paper was reversed or flipped 180' from normal.

440px-Pinhole-camera.svg.png

Searching for this pinhole image I found multiple videos describing how to diy a pinhole eclipse viewer.

[edit-
340px-The_dappled_sunlight_under_the_trees_was_very_strange_before_and_after_totality._%2836330876490%29.jpg
perhaps the wrong time of the year, but I have seen this before from eclipse image filtered through pin hole paths through tree leaves. /edit]

JR

Last edited:
Downtown Cleveland is about about 10 miles from the paths center line and:
The Woman's Final Four will wrap-up Sunday Evening.
The first baseball home game will start just after the Eclipse.
So we expect a lot of people.
And a good chance of clouds.

I have already warned any first timers do not look directly at the sun with your naked eyes. Back in the old days we would fashion DIY eclipse sun glasses out of several layers of old film negatives. But this is not guaranteed to be adequate.

I've always used an arc welding helmet, which is designed to block orders of magnitude more UV light than what reaches Earth's surface from Mr. Sun. They'll tell you not to for liability reasons, because someone will use cutting goggles or glasses (#5 shade) instead of a welding lens proper (#10 shade at minimum). BTW, a very cool image of the pinhole paths through the leaves!

Downtown Cleveland is about about 10 miles from the paths center line and:
The Woman's Final Four will wrap-up Sunday Evening.
The first baseball home game will start just after the Eclipse.
So we expect a lot of people.
And a good chance of clouds.

Hope they're wrong, or at the least they'll be a short break in the clouds at eclipse time!

Weather forecast here for Monday is partly cloudy, which is better than the overcast skies with showers that they'd forecast only a couple of days ago. Thankfully, the storms are now supposed to hold off until sometime Tuesday. I just checked the national weather, and pretty much everywhere except New England is supposed to have at least partial cloudiness. Not good...

One interesting impression I recall about experiencing eclipses occurring mid day is the sudden drop in temperature, and how wildlife reacts to night during day. I suspect even with clouds there may be a perceptible temperature/light drop.

JR

I've never had the energy to travel to and deal with the problems of a total eclipse site, though wish I'd been able to see one in my life. Hope everything goes well for you.

Here's a photo montage of an annular eclipse I took from my yard about a mile from the midline.eclipse1-sm.jpg

Its scaring too many folks now. I've spoken vax with certain vendors in the past and two asked me last week if I was "laying in anything for the eclipse". Uh, no, except a lawn chair! 90% is good for me.
They are confusing cosmic rays (emp) and visible light after they hear "quietly declaring a state of emergency" regarding a municipality doing what they think they should do when thousands of people are coming to town to "get a look". Go get water and meatloaf mix!!
Mike

Its scaring too many folks now. I've spoken vax with certain vendors in the past and two asked me last week if I was "laying in anything for the eclipse". Uh, no, except a lawn chair! 90% is good for me.
They are confusing cosmic rays (emp) and visible light after they hear "quietly declaring a state of emergency" regarding a municipality doing what they think they should do when thousands of people are coming to town to "get a look". Go get water and meatloaf mix!!
Mike
In the past few years I got back in contact with a cousin of mine. We somehow had no communications since her parents and mine passed away over the years. No animosity or anything....just individual lives going on in different parts of the USA.

I learned she is totally "invested" in Qanon and other religious movements. I am used to her emailing me with her "conspiracy du jour".

Yesterday, her email discussed how the eclipse is the end of the world....as in Book of Revelations prophecy. If she's correct, she'll meet Jesus tomorrow afternoon after the Rapture.

And to think she used to be a grade school teacher.....

Bri

I forgot to mention.....part of my cousin's email mentioned the highway patrols and city/state police departments stepping up their staffing, etc. She claims it's a worldwide conspiracy to "hide the truth from the people" since they are keeping it "secret".

Bri

Not to mention the trains will start running backwards and the toilet will flush the opposite way.

One interesting impression I recall about experiencing eclipses occurring mid day is the sudden drop in temperature, and how wildlife reacts to night during day. I suspect even with clouds there may be a perceptible temperature/light drop.

JR
That's exactly what I experienced in a zoo last time. The solar eclipse unsettled the animals, some were very restless, others collectively went to sleep.

The temperature drop is really noticeable, the overall mood was strange.

For an interesting coincidence how about the moon being just the right size to cover the sun's image because its 90+ million miles away.

The sun is 400x larger, but 400x further away... coincidence? Yes it appears so.

JR

Totality from my porch 1:36 p.m. from Hill country in West Austin. Amazing experience!

Yes it was, and thanks for sharing the pic! We were even treated to the so-called "eclipse breeze" here, caused by rapidly cooling air sinking down the sides of the mountains just a few miles to the southwest, as the temperature rapidly dropped before totality. Shadows looked really different and strange, and I saw the pinhole projection effect of the crescent through the gaps between the leaves of the neighbor's tree, much like in JR's photo posted above. I could also clearly see the shadow bands on the hood and roof of my white car, both before and immediately after totality.

Of course, none of that even came close to the spectacle of the eclipse itself! It was incredible. More than anything, I was amazed at how rapidly it grew dark during those last few seconds, and then how the corona instantly appeared all at once. Amazing! I really thought it would instead fade in over the course of a second or so.

I live near the small municipal airport, and there have been airplanes taking off almost nonstop during the few hours since the totality. At first, it was a departure per minute or more. We generally hear a small jet take off about once per week or so, but this afternoon there have easily been more than 20, plus dozens of prop planes. Looks like a lotta people of much higher means than myself flew in to see the eclipse. After witnessing a total eclipse for the first time myself, I can say I'd have done the same, and do it again and again.

Back