Altec 201A SDC microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burdij

I am looking for the Altec datasheet for a 201A microphone. A schematic would be good too. This mike may also be called an M53.

Here is what I have so far:

1. Some people have claimed that this microphone was made for Altec by AKG and that it is similar to the C 451 EB. I don't thing this is true. I compared the PC board with a drawing of the PCB for the 451. They are similar and have similar circuitry but they are not the same. The biggest difference is that the Altec mike has a 5 step gain control that switches in or removes capacitors bridging the capsule the change the gain in 10db steps from -40 to -70. The board is also clearly marked ALTEC.

2. The microphone first appears in the 1975 Altec pro line catalog and was marked M53.

3. The capsule is not a 29A or B but is marked M42A. The construction is similar but the two are not interchangable due to the way in which the contact to the back electrode is make. It is a flat disk in the 29A and a short pin in the 42A.

4. The 1978 Altec Pro line catalog shows the microphone listed as a model C70C. The sensitivity is listed as -60db ref. 10 dynes/cm(2).

Dale!
Good to see you're back!
Just recorded an album with an iaudio mk7 with your capsule. Very nice!! Thanks!

Latest posts

Back