Alternative input coupling cap suggestions for Supergreen preamp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kato

Hi folks, I just stuffed a couple of old Supergreen preamp PCBs, but the input coupling caps are too tall to fit in my 1U enclosure.

(They're 700v 10µF Vishay polypropylene film caps.)
1688407475838.png

I want to rack and test them now without ordering new film caps. Would it be better to use:
  • 10µF electrolytics, with the anodes oriented toward the input jacks (as in the Green mic pre.)
  • or 2µ2 polyester film caps? I'm not sure how much low-end I'll be losing.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Do you need 700v versions of these caps ? Look for a lower voltage version & it will likely be smaller. Maybe something like this

That's a great suggestion Rob, thanks. I suspect 3v would be sufficient. 700v = overkill.
I ordered based on the 37.5mm lead spacing; didn't consider the height at all.

It would be nice to box them up and test without ordering any new parts. But I'll pursue your suggestion in the long term. Thank you.

When doing the capactative reactance calculation, do I assume 10k for the resistance? (The input impedance?) Or the 56k to ground after the capacitor?

There is no R in the capacitive reactance formula (XC = 1/(2πfC) ) therefore I'm not really sure what you are talking about. Also if these are the input caps to the mic amp. i.e where the mic plugs in then 3v caps would probably not be sufficient if they have to block the 48v phantom power, but since I don't have the diagram & you haven't posted it I don't know.

If it's a mic preamp, 1k would be a lot closer to the "usual" input impedance (needed for figuring out the expected high-pass frequency). 63v caps are pretty standard, and just fine for blocking the 48v phantom power voltage.

Thank you for the advice, friends!

I've replaced them with 250v film caps that will allow me to close the lid.

They're only 2µ2, but I'll do a sweep to see how much low-end I'm losing.

(And thanks Rob for the correction. I'm still learning, slowly from youtube videos.)

Latest posts

Back