Avoiding big caps on solid state preamp inputs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. Does operating at more conservative voltage (e.g. using a 25v part in place of a 16v part) seem to help?
I used to design aircraft electronics, and the design guideline for caps was to use a voltage rating 2x the voltage the part was exposed to. And 105 deg C parts, always. All lytics had to be RTV'd solidly to the board. The projected design life is 50 years, so they can squeeze extra years out of those 747s/737s...

I used to design aircraft electronics, and the design guideline for caps was to use a voltage rating 2x the voltage the part was exposed to. And 105 deg C parts, always. All lytics had to be RTV'd solidly to the board. The projected design life is 50 years, so they can squeeze extra years out of those 747s/737s...
And they have squeezed a "few" extra years. I watched the 747 being built and was really saddened with they stopped using them. Watched a test where they bent the wings up, and the didn't snap off until the tips were 20 feet from each other...

It would be a mistake to RELY on a particular ESR when placed in any circuit because we KNOW it will degrade over time so the circuit as a whole may well malfunction, or go out of design tolerance. If your product only has a 3 or 5 year 'lifespan', (guarantee) that may not be an issue.

Since the 'perfect capacitor' doesn't exist there are many complicated compromises made with formulations, the way the wire lead outs are connected to the plates, the ability to shrug off heat and so on so plenty of scope for 'golden ears' to think of all manner of wild theories based on,,,,,, 'whatever'.
Like the fact that you must use GREEN sleeved wire for ground connections. So while there will be small differences you are also in the realm of 'small differences now, this year but they will be different again next year (as will your ears). ALL of the old classic stuff (often with 'N' as part of the name has degraded over the decades so are not what they were when first made (and nor are we).

Back