Alvin Bragg walks back Jan 3 memo

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
I thought this was discussed here already but NYC AG Bragg has publicly reversed his Jan 3 memo that created controversy.
Bragg reversal article

Bragg now said:
Bragg said his office will be prosecuting all robberies with a gun as a felony.

“Let me be clear,” he said. “Any use of a gun to rob a store by definition is and must be and will be treated seriously.”

===
On Thursday, Bragg clarified: “Violence against police officers will not be tolerated. If you push or hit an officer or attempt to do so or attempt to harm an officer in another way, you will be prosecuted, held accountable. Public safety will be paramount and will always have primacy in my office.”

I applaud him for reversing himself at least in part.

JR

Good for him. Letter-of-the-law enforcement can devolve into harassment, which does escalate situations and negatively impacts public safety. Overcharging has become a routinized LEO method of intimidating suspects into plea bargains. This clears the docket but doesn't serve justice, breeding contempt.

Anything involving violence is a much different story and should be vigorously prosecuted.

Apparently gov Newsome has just acknowledged the freight train car robberies in LA. The public and business community will not tolerate too much of this "let em loose, catch and release" justice policy.

I can't read their minds, but there appears to be a shortage of U-hauls to rent leaving CA.

biz insider said:
U-Haul and Budget moving-truck rental rates were between two and five times as expensive to leave California than to move into it, Business Insider found

Of course opinions vary.

JR

Nationwide trucking shortages: trucks, drivers, mechanics, parts. One-way rentals out of populated areas are money-losers because vehicle gets dead-ended in Bumfuck. Also, pandemics historically see pop. center exodus. I wouldn't read too much into that stat.

The bandits got word that differing LE branches continuously "Not-my-job"ed about trainyard jurisdiction. Leave a vault open and pretty soon bad guys show up.

Newsome has plenty of demerits, esp. past association with the gruesome K. Guilfoyle.

Last edited:
Apparently gov Newsome has just acknowledged the freight train car robberies in LA. The public and business community will not tolerate too much of this "let em loose, catch and release" justice policy.

I can't read their minds, but there appears to be a shortage of U-hauls to rent leaving CA.

Of course opinions vary.

JR
Yes and our d.a. That is local George gascon was nowhere to be found. It’s bad. Hopefully it gets better

The moving truck shortage in CA pre-dates Covid. It's real. I exited the state last August. Rented a U-haul on their website. The order went through but had no pickup location so I called their customer support. The guy couldn't tell me where I'd have to go to get my truck and laughed at my concern about availability. "You'll get your truck. Don't worry." Within a day I received a text and email stating that U-haul was cancelling my rental due to lack of availability of ANY truck if any size for the foreseeable future.

I went with Penske and had no issues other than rental moving blankets being unavailable. CA is losing residents at a rapid rate.

The moving truck shortage in CA pre-dates Covid. It's real. I exited the state last August. Rented a U-haul on their website. The order went through but had no pickup location so I called their customer support. The guy couldn't tell me where I'd have to go to get my truck and laughed at my concern about availability. "You'll get your truck. Don't worry." Within a day I received a text and email stating that U-haul was cancelling my rental due to lack of availability of ANY truck if any size for the foreseeable future.

I went with Penske and had no issues other than rental moving blankets being unavailable. CA is losing residents at a rapid rate.
where did you move to?
let me guess. AZ, TX, or TN perhaps? Seems to be the going rate. what's funny is those leaving the state bring the state politics with them. For exmple Austin tx, where I have family. Austin was always a little different then the state, the perfect combo of hippies and country folk. However with the influx of california, it now seems to have some of the same issues driving folks out of california.

where did you move to?
let me guess. AZ, TX, or TN perhaps? Seems to be the going rate. what's funny is those leaving the state bring the state politics with them. For exmple Austin tx, where I have family. Austin was always a little different then the state, the perfect combo of hippies and country folk. However with the influx of california, it now seems to have some of the same issues driving folks out of california.
AZ and TX are major target destinations from CA, lots of relocations from high tax NY and NJ end up moving to FL. FL residents have started posting notes on cars with NY/NJ license plates saying to leave the politics behind. TN is attractive to people in the music business and has respectable tax rates and good state governance.

My brother still lives in CA and I tease him all the time. The weather sure is nice but I couldn't live there years ago and it seems to be in decline.

Of course opinions vary...

JR

PS: Yes, Austin was always a bit of an outlier for TX, but the new escapees there are being felt.

Different strokes for different folks. I haven't had to pay any state tax, or even had to file, for several years. The local U-Haul rental has more trucks and trailers than I've ever seen before sitting in the yard, so I guess folks are moving here and no one's leaving. I'm retired, but even when I was working the taxes and cost of living were equivalent to AZ, where I worked and moved from.

Of course, the downside where I live is tolerating all the "I'm a free 'Murican and I can do any fucking thing I want" assholes.

AZ and TX are major target destinations from CA, lots of relocations from high tax NY and NJ end up moving to FL. FL residents have started posting notes on cars with NY/NJ license plates saying to leave the politics behind. TN is attractive to people in the music business and has respectable tax rates and good state governance.

My brother still lives in CA and I tease him all the time. The weather sure is nice but I couldn't live there years ago and it seems to be in decline.

Of course opinions vary...

JR

PS: Yes, Austin was always a bit of an outlier for TX, but the new escapees there are being felt.
As a California resident, I am going down with the ship. I still have hope it may turn around. There have been enough incidents that even the locals who defend the current government running the show are starting to turn. You can only turn blind eye to it for so long before you can't defend bad policy anymore. The sad part is some of the policy was directly approved by the citizens when voting due to the whole ballot measure concept and how they are often times written in such a way that a no vote is actually a yes vote and vice versa.
Different strokes for different folks. I haven't had to pay any state tax, or even had to file, for several years. The local U-Haul rental has more trucks and trailers than I've ever seen before sitting in the yard, so I guess folks are moving here and no one's leaving. I'm retired, but even when I was working the taxes and cost of living were equivalent to AZ, where I worked and moved from.

Of course, the downside where I live is tolerating all the "I'm a free 'Murican and I can do any fucking thing I want" assholes.
Uhaul may haver trucks or trailers in the yard but that doesn't mean people are moving here or not leaving here. Uhaul separates trucks for one way vs returning from where you got it.

I always enjoyed visiting CA, but haven't been back to SF in over a decade. My friend living in northern CA recently bought an apartment in Marseille (the south of France)... My brother, living in SOCAL has a wife with a good job at that big utility that is constantly being sued for starting fires. Maybe if the lawsuits put that utility out of business they'll leave. My brother who is older than me retired just last year. He was consulting before that so didn't need to live out there, but is doing it to keep his wife happy (happy wife happy life).

There is always hope for CA but the recent news about new tax increase proposals to pay for free healthcare for illegal aliens, doesn't sound like a winning recipe.

Good luck.

JR

PS: Living in MS is far from heaven on earth. I don't watch the local news because it reminds me of where I live. With freezing weather like we've had the last couple weeks I start thinking about moving further south, but every time I look, it is way more expensive than living here. Did I mention I'm cheap.

Uhaul may haver trucks or trailers in the yard but that doesn't mean people are moving here or not leaving here. Uhaul separates trucks for one way vs returning from where you got it.
All those trucks and trailers had to get here somehow - so many more than there were a year ago. I doubt that they're paying anyone to drive and dump them here in the boonies for local use.

The people who understood the planning software used by U-Haul have left the company, so now nobody knows how to tame the beast?

Our human calendar tends to be a mystery to computers. The work registration software I'm hoping to tame atm, can't handle jobs that start one day and end the next day. Makes you wonder why they still can't fix it after twenty or so years of boosting that they're "the best in the business".

where did you move to?
None of the above. I retired to the state where I was born, raised, and educated--South Carolina. Closer to family and much better quality of life for me and my wife.
Different strokes for different folks.

So which is it? I prefer living among people who at least have some respect for the founding principles over a bunch of ridiculously naive and unworkable "solutions."

The people who understood the planning software used by U-Haul have left the company, so now nobody knows how to tame the beast?
Nothing complex. It's simply that the ratio of domestic emigration to immigration is at an all time high. They have to hire people to drive empty trucks back to CA. In case you've missed it, finding people to drive isn't easy right now and fuel costs are way up.

For comparison go price the same size truck going from CA to, say CO then the reverse.

I'm pretty much a hermit, live in the boonies, go to town every 2 weeks for groceries and supplies, and don't have to interact with the people who think they are right and everyone else is wrong. So CA works fine for me.

I'm pretty much a hermit, live in the boonies, go to town every 2 weeks for groceries and supplies, and don't have to interact with the people who think they are right and everyone else is wrong. So CA works fine for me.
Good luck hiding from it. After being there for over 29 years and watching the decline I made the hard decision to enjoy my remaining years elsewhere. I don't see it turning around in my lifetime. It's accelerating, in fact. I'm glad to be far away from people who believe their very bad ideas are the only true and virtuous way and who tolerate no dissent (even that based on historical success). Bye.

Back