Amek 2500 preamp gl122 board

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a search but couldnt see one of these projects all ready done.

I just drew out the preamp card of the amek 2500. This is the transformer balanced one
I though it might be a good option for a DIY project. It's just one ne5534 chip and a transformer.
Output is currently unbalanced but I was thinking of a carnhill to balance it. The sowter 4057(?) input transformer in not available but I have a 3195 at home that I think would work instead.

In terms of pcb and power, I was going to try and design a board that could either be mounted in a 500 series rack or four in a row in a 1 unit rack.

The schematic is currently just on a bit of paper as I traced it at the studio, but I will draw it up in the next day or so.

Let me know if you are Intrested in this.

Arthur

Interested. I've only seen the electronically balanced module till now.

IMO no real use for balancing output - I would go for impedance balancing for simpleness...

Jakob E.

We have a desk that is full of them, with only one or two electronically balanced channels out of 36. Strangly we don't have a schematic for the ones with transformers. I think that jenssenmann has the same desk, He posted a schematic as well a while back.

I will draw a cuircit up in the next day or so when I get a chance.

Impedance balanced outputs might be simpler for pcb design. (I'm just a sucker for iron.)

Here are the pictures of my desk (24ch transformer micpres + 12 stereos):
http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/thumbnails.php?album=212

and here´s the schematic of the preamp:
normal_Amek_M2500_Preampt.jpg

Here´s the Sowter chart with 4057 data. If you ask Brian nicely I´m sure he will do them again. Amek is out of business longtime.... http://www.sowter.co.uk/archive/proaudio.htm

If you want to modify the circuit then do something like this:
Change C1 to 100pF (FKP or Mica), increase C4+C5 to as big as possible, 6V rating is enough + add a parallel 0,1uF foil bypass cap (no ceramic!). Increase C6 to 470uF/10V plus 0,1uF foil bypass cap. If you want to change to a more modern chip (this will change the original character) then add 0,1uF bypass caps between rails and ground closest possible to the new chip and skip C2. Definitely use a BJT input chip, no FET. The only chip worth to change the 5534 with in my book is a LME49710. Of course everybody else knows it better (without having it tested it in this particular circuit) but that´s the internet  ;)
If you add an electronic balancing stage then skip R5. If you use impedance balancing then keep R5 and connect Pin3 of the output XLR with a 47Ohm resistor to ground. Stick with R5 if using an output transformer. I hope all that helps.

Wow, thanks for all that info, have you performed any of these mods on your desk? If so what was the found difference? 

I am hoping to use impedance balanced, I am just reading on it at the moment, I would like to have the option of a transformer as well, I will have a look at the channel outputs tomorrow to see what they are doing there. 

Thanks for reposting that schematic, I was slightly amazzed that after I had traced the board, it looked like yours, it ment I had not made any mistakes. (do you have a schematic from the factory?)

I don't think I want to change to sound of these too much as I think that they sound good like they are, I found the page for the 4057, but at the moment I will just prototype with the 3195 as I have one at home, but good to know that Brian can be hospitable.

Latest posts

Back