AMI / Funkenwerk U47 Kits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmotenz

Hello,

Would anyone here have some insight on the availability of the AMI diy U47 kits? They’ve been backordered for awhile.

I *really* want to build a U47 clone, and this one seems like the best way to go.

I’ve also seen the “vintage microphonepcb.com” kit, but I’d really rather avoid paying and building a PSU for now. Documentation and part sourcing seems a lot more scattered with that kit as well.

There’s also the mic & mod U47 kit, but it strays pretty far from the original schematic.

(When I say original, I’m referring to the alternate tube design made by Oliver)

Anyways, I need a good lead or recommendation. I’m 17 years old and I feel like it’s impossible to properly learn about analog & tube based circuitry in 2024, so I need a good kit to spoon feed my brain until I can start figuring out this shit 😭

Thanks!

Hello,

Would anyone here have some insight on the availability of the AMI diy U47 kits? They’ve been backordered for awhile.

I *really* want to build a U47 clone, and this one seems like the best way to go.

I’ve also seen the “vintage microphonepcb.com” kit, but I’d really rather avoid paying and building a PSU for now. Documentation and part sourcing seems a lot more scattered with that kit as well.

There’s also the mic & mod U47 kit, but it strays pretty far from the original schematic.

(When I say original, I’m referring to the alternate tube design made by Oliver)

Anyways, I need a good lead or recommendation. I’m 17 years old and I feel like it’s impossible to properly learn about analog & tube based circuitry in 2024, so I need a good kit to spoon feed my brain until I can start figuring out this shit 😭

Thanks!
Hello jtmotenz,
It's best to reach out to AMI/Tab directly. The website states backordered due to the nickel plating vendor, (a family business in operation for 103 yrs. closed). AMI/Tab has been using a few different plating vendors and so far the consistency and reliability is too problematic to remove "backordered" from the website.
-dennis M.

IMHO the microphone capsule is responsible for 90% of the sound.
The remaining 10% can be divided between the output transformer and the tube.
I have heard an A/B comparison between a 'vintage' U47 (With the "magic" VF14 tube) and a modern version with an EFxx tube. If you really want to hear a difference, maybe you will hear it.
But I am sure that in a mix they would sound identical...

IMHO the microphone capsule is responsible for 90% of the sound.
The remaining 10% can be divided between the output transformer and the tube.
I have heard an A/B comparison between a 'vintage' U47 (With the "magic" VF14 tube) and a modern version with an EFxx tube. If you really want to hear a difference, maybe you will hear it.
But I am sure that in a mix they would sound identical...
Interesting. I figured this may be the case. I’ll prioritize capsule and TX, and then maybe I’ll experiment with retrofitting other tubes with whatever circuit I end up with.

Latest posts

Back