Ampeg B-12-N resto

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
swapping out the pots on these tone modules was a real pain.

some people wire in discrete components and claim better sound, but i bet the customer wants it stock since this is a rare classic, b3.jpg

schematic on mounting plank,

3 input jacks, 470 K plate resistors on stage 1 and 2 are what make this model a bit different.

tubes were dragging 120 ma each! B+ dropped to 346 v, now what?

7 volts on 250 ohm cathode cap, wtf?

that suggests 14 ma for each 6L6 but they are as hot as heck!

well, the new power transformer had a heater CT so i grounded it like any normal idiot.

look close menso, notice the point "K" on the cathodes, runs to the hum cancel pot, i was sinking all the current through the 100 ohm wire wound pot , through the heaters to ground.

clipped the pot center wire and plate volts popped up to 435, and bias to about 32 v, yippee!

even the schematic done got tin roof rusted,

ampeg b-12-nc schematic.jpg

replacement power XFMR is like 328 bucks, so i took a guess on this Hammond and it worked out fine, 5 volts off on B+, it has a 115/125 primary tap in case heater voltage runs high, so we used white/blk = 125 tap ,
\
heaters still at 6.6 and 5.3 but that is ok,

Hammond 273BX is good for 201 ma which is better than the stock replacement, and only $125, made in Canada so i am not going to bad mouth Hammond anymore.

cap got shorted out by the salt water so we replaced that also.

hammond.jpg

cap.jpg

Tungsol 6SL7 preamp and PI tubes, cleaned up pretty good considering 3 days submerged in the brine, new CTS pots, changed the 1 Meg linear vol pots to log because linear sucks,

the switches come apart if you uncrimp them, so was able to keep all 3 stock

nothing connected to ground switch, cap removed, (3 prong cord used)

b8.jpg

Those light up a plastic panel with Ampeg written on it. There is a slot in the chassis for the panel. They are regular ge #47 lamps.

This thing sounds muddy. I think a 6SN7 in the phase inverter might clear it up a bit. (Stock is 6SL7=12AX7)

I recently did a full rebuild on a B-15N. PEC couplates were just fine in mine, and got reused (along with the C-D "Greenies"). The rest of the amp was a basket case and almost everything else got replaced (except for the eyelet board, tube sockets, and transformers).

It's sounding good, if a *touch* murky. It's got me interested to try your 6SN7 suggestion; I happen to have one sitting around here so I may give it a bash

Those light up a plastic panel with Ampeg written on it. There is a slot in the chassis for the panel. They are regular ge #47 lamps.

This thing sounds muddy. I think a 6SN7 in the phase inverter might clear it up a bit. (Stock is 6SL7=12AX7)
It was popular back in the day to replace the Ampeg logoed plexi panel with a personalized version, name , initials, band , that sort of thing.

Back