Another Alesis 3630 mod...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebartlet

Just finished the usual mods on two 3630's - upgrade power supplies, op-amps, and converted one unit to feed back compression.

After upgrading the audio and side-chain op-amps for the Rev B unit to ST MC33079's I had in stock,  I noticed some parasitic oscillation (1.6Mhz) that occurred at higher input signal levels on the negative peaks of the output.  Turns out there is exactly "0" bandwidth limiting on the input OA stage, so a cap accross the NFB resistor was in order.. I decided on 100pF (across 8.2k) for a -3dB point around 200KHz (which will vary depending on the setting of the -10/+4 switch)

On the Rev D, after upgrading op-amps,  channel A seemed to be fine, but channel B oscillated without any signal at a level of  -20dB!! Swapped op-amps and the problem stayed with channel B, must be something with the PCB layout, installed aforementioned caps on these as well and all is well.

Decided to mod the gates on these as well.  I don't use gates very often, but when I do, I prefer to have the gate perform reduction rather than switch on and off with signal level.  The choppiness is too obvious, and really not necessary as a moderate attenuation will reduce the offending noise enough, especially in the context of a mix.

It would have been nice to be able to install a pot to adjust the amount of attenuation when the gate is closed, but there is very little extra room on the front panel, so a fixed value would have to do.

I settled on a -22dB gain reduction when the gate is closed, which is achieved by changing resistors R32 and R36 from 820 ohms  to 2.2K.  Obviously this value can be played with to achieve varying levels of reduction.  I've attached a jpg showing the location of R32/R36.

Attachments

• 3630gateMod.JPG
    3630gateMod.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Eric,
    Will definitely look into this next time I open up my own. Maybe (probably!) this should go in the META.
Is the 100pf cap calculated for -10 or +4?
J

tchgtr said:
Is the 100pf cap calculated for -10 or +4?
J

I guess what I said was misleading.  Theoretically, the added cap should only be effective in -10 mode, when the inverting input has the 2.2k to ground, but seems to be effective in  stabilizing the first stage op-amp even +4 mode (unity gain - I wouldn't normally expect any problem here). 

But  in the end the frequency response from input to output is only  to 100khz (-3dB) in -10 and 130khz in +4, likely due to parasitic capacitance's through out the  PCB, so my 200khz -3dB point really doesn't matter so much , as long I choose something well below the oscillation frequency (1.6Mhz in this case), I'll be fine.

I wouldn't bother with adding anything unless you see a problem on the scope.  Channel A on my Rev D seemed fine although since I was in there to add a cap to channel B, which was oscillating into the MHz, channel A got it just in case...

Latest posts

Back